Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Re: Ninja - Auto Empty and fill, Any good?

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 21 March 2004
Chris, Have had a Ninja with Auto fill and empty for nearly 2 years. The auto fill is worth having, but must have chemical dosing as well. Auto drain, I have used but is more hassle than its worth. Also adds a lot of weight and makes the tank hold a lot less water and makes it harder to clean out. If doing a lot of commercial jobs then may be worth while, otherwise I would say no.

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 21 March 2004
Chris,

Totally agree with Dave.

I have had both on several machines, but found the auto drain became less effective as I improved vac power and there is also the issued of where the drained water goes - I refer you to the recent thread on this forum regarding efluent disposal - certainly if you dump the waste down the customers' loo, would you trust the pipe to stay in place ?

With auto-fill I found that I misstrusted the dosing system and was constantly checking the specific gravity of the solution - perhaps that's just me being paranoid.

John.
Posted by mark_roberts (mark_roberts), 22 March 2004
Autofill is great for commercial work but more hassle than its worth for residential unless you leave the ninja outside near an outside tap.  I've always found it difficult to get good adaptors esp for square taps.  Round taps are easy.

The chemical metering never seemed to work well so don't get it.

Auto pump-out never worked well either and made the machine very heavy.

Look at the recoil too.

mark
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 22 March 2004
on 03/21/04 at 23:02:48, Dynafoam wrote:
Chris,

With auto-fill I found that I misstrusted the dosing system and was constantly checking the specific gravity of the solution - perhaps that's just me being paranoid.

John.

John, you're starting to remind me of my brother-in-law, he used to try and blind me with science "checking the specific gravity" Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

get real you waffler Wink

Mike
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 22 March 2004
Mike,

How would you test the solution strength then? Taste it?

An hydrometer would not blind most technicaly minded people any more than a thermometer or a strip on pH test paper.

Try some evening primrose oil   Wink

John.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 22 March 2004
Mike

Didn’t some bloke drop an apple or some thing and called it gravity, if I drop something wont tell you what I call it but it ant gravity.

Len Grin Grin Grin

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 22 March 2004
John,
having a hydrometer is one thing, knowing how to interpret the reading is another. I can envisage compiling tables at home, presumably different for each chemical. I'm afraid, I haven't the time (or inclination), so resort to squirting solution out of the wand and seeing if it looks and feels soapy, not scientific I know, but quicker and easier, and probably what the majority of CC's do.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 22 March 2004
Go over to the micro-splitting agents then you only squirt water, problem solved.

Len

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 23 March 2004
Apart from a clean carpet how do you know these Micro Splitters work?

In fact how do we know if anythings works

This is better than that this is the miricle cure.

Is the selling of cleaning chemicals and equipment becoming the area of operation  for Medicine Man salesmen.

Its early in the morning I mean no disrespect but all I want iis Machines that clean carpets, leave them as dry as possible and chemicals that do what they say they do.

Self netruilize leave no residue etc  Leave carpets soft,
raise pile, restore most doggy carpet to origional condition

The two Johns and Ken appear to have studied carpet cleaning to Phd level .

Would it not be a good idea for NCCA to contact Uni of Liecester or Del monte to award them an honoary Doctorate.
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 23 March 2004
Its late going back to bed meant two Boltons not two Johns therefore my other  nominee is Dereck.
And the other uni is not Del Monte but its in Leicester
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 23 March 2004
Hi Ian

I think you mean the De Montfort University in Leicester.

Incidentally our Kenneth (the Marigold man) is already an OBE (Our Bl**dy 'Ero)  Wink Grin

Cheers
Derek
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 23 March 2004
Dave,

I do not normally use a hydrometer -  it was simply to see if the dosing unit was functioning correctly. It was somewhat erratic, so abandoned.

John
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 24 March 2004
Hi Derek

Thats the one , I have trouble spelling your name yet alone De Monfort or what ever.

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 24 March 2004
John,
Apology acepted. By the way you been using my name again, our Lens all confused!          Again.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 24 March 2004
Dave,

Now I'm confused  Huh Who appologised and for what?

Don't worry about Len - it's just a few too many micro-splitter and tonics  Grin

John.
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 24 March 2004
Sorry John, I thought you were apologising for using a hydrometer. Only ever used them for checking lead acid batteries and more importantly home brewed beer.

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 24 March 2004
Dave,

Hope you washed it in between the two jobs  Grin

John.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.