Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Crystal Green or Extraction Pro?

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 12 October 2003
Just wondered what preference fellow carpet cleaners had in using Prochem's Crystal Green Powder or Extraction Pro Liquid?
I have used both and haven't really noticed much difference in results.

Would appreciate you comments

Paul
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 October 2003
Hi

Judging by your comments I would assume you mean adding it to the solution tank?

I would always advocate using either product as a pretreatment and rinse with a low pH rinse solution.

Derek
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 13 October 2003
Hi Paul

My experiences are that Extraction Pro is generally regarded as a high quality, general purpose extraction rinse detergent, and as such would be deemed suitable for most of your run of the mill everyday cleaning needs. Crystal Green is a speciality heavy duty product which performs best at higher temperatures. It is also formulated to be compatible with Prochem's Clensan which can be neutralised by most regular detergents. Neither solution is classified as being a Woolsafe Product.

My own view on rinse agents is, that if you have performed your preparation to a suitable standard, you don't usually need an aggressive, powerful rinse agent.

Hope this helps.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 October 2003
Hi Paul,
          We sometimes use extraction pro for our run of the mill jobs but i have used Crystal Green for the odd pub carpet with good results. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 13 October 2003
I 've found both of them to be quality products, but  i think the are  not as good as Formula 90 both liquid and powder.

Formula 90 liquid can be diluted 900-1 and is then woolsafe approved

Mike
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 13 October 2003
Cheers guys, sounds like extraction pro is best for the general job. I may look into the alternatives like Formula 90 for example. Who manufactures it?

Derek
I hear what your saying but in my opinion using a rinsing agent is not always needed. I always test the carpets and check the backings as well to try to avoid any problems. If I clean wool then I would use a woolsafe product and a rinse agent.
I use extraction pro on 90% of my work on carpets and with adding odour fresh I leave a great looking carpet which smells fantastic. My customers seem to love the smell and I am getting alot of word of mouth business which I'm sure people will agree is the best business to get.

Paul
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 14 October 2003
formula 90 is made by Chemspec sorry don't know thier number

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 14 October 2003
Hi Guys

Several points have been raised during this thread.

Formula 90... the powder version is buffered whilst the liquid version is NOT.... Hence mike's dilution rates.
Make sure that you mix the liquid version to a safe working pH

I have for many years adopted the acidic rinse procedure as a very safe method of cleaning. With some of the modern chemicals this does, on the face of it, seem to be a redundant step to take.
Much depends on who cleaned the item before you and did they leave any chemicals behind!!

I am also mindful that the local water supply is bubbling around the 8.4 mark and take this into consideration. Most rinse agents are perfumed therefore I do not need, in the vast majority of cases, add any additional perfumed essence.

Derek

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 14 October 2003
'Buffered' the ability to maintain a set ph  throughout a range of dilution levels Derek would this be a correct definition?

this was a mistake I often made yonks a go, thinking that if I over-diluted a chemical it would become weaker therfore safer.  Pity it does'nt work like that.

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 14 October 2003
You've got it in one Mike

Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.