Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

The other forum

Posted by simonb (simonb), 17 December 2003
Are we allowed to mention the other forum?
Anyone know the www?
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 17 December 2003
Nope...

Seriously, there are lots of other forums around but none with as many active members as Cleanitup (in the UK at least). Since we started this back in the summer there have been others that have sprung up but then they say immitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

From the feedback we've had the most professional / useful one is/was Andrew Walkers site - I'm sure someone will post the address here shortly.

Posted by fez (fez), 17 December 2003
Here you go Wink.......just don't tell 'em I told you!

http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=30abfc5976ac39756e8085c07f738133

You ain't seen me....right? Grin
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 17 December 2003
I thought that you was going to mention the other one
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/EUcleaningrelatedservices/ Cool 0r something like that

Posted by georgesystems (George Systems), 17 December 2003
Hi Guys

There are several of them here:

http://www.georgesystems.co.uk/Links/links.html

If anybody finds any more please let us know.

I monitor most of them - and this one is definitely the most active and informative.

Paul Sanders
George Systems
http://www.georgesystems.co.uk

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 17 December 2003
Hi
I have been on the wintec site now since October and as well as slow to start it is picking up.
Good bunch of members on there and worth a look.
A lot of the members on there are on here and a good way of spreading information gathered.
Alan

Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 18 December 2003
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/EUcleaningandrelatedservices/
Posted by Fox (Fox), 18 December 2003
I must say admin I am glad that there are loads of other links advertised and you don't seem to mind, after all they seem to come back to this one anyway!

Let us all know why guys Smiley
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 18 December 2003
on 12/18/03 at 00:26:34, Fox wrote:
I must say admin I am glad that there are loads of other links advertised and you don't seem to mind, after all they seem to come back to this one anyway!

Let us all know why guys Smiley

It will be interesting to see how many other forums mention this one!

We are fortunate to have attracted some extremely experienced members who are genuinely prepared to help others. Most people realise you get out what you put in and, whilst that continues, we're confident we can develop this site from strength to strength!

If anyone has any comments on how it can be further improved (or if they find other sites that do it better) please let us know.

In the meantime - spread the word!

Merry Christmas Smiley
Posted by Andrew (Andrew), 9 April 2004
Other Forum's

I havnt seen this thread before, but as it is having a long late night session .. well now morning one (courtesy of Easter holiday)browsing through Clean It Up!  I thank Clean It up administration for their observation that, "From the feedback we've had the most professional / useful one is/was Andrew Walkers [Edu-Clean's)I'm sure someone will post the address here shortly."

The site in question was created because at the time of its inception i felt the Fed (NFMW&GC) should be providing a forum for its members.  Has an Executive Committee member i decided to create one myself.  The emphasise there is that i created the forum to fill a need.  When Clean It Up came along i was happy to become a member and give it my support as a means to address the same need.  References to Clean It Up are welcome in the Edu-Clean forum, as are links to any other forum. I decline to mention the name of the Eddu-Clean forum as i feel to do so would be a discourtesy to my Clean It Up hosts.

If i have a concern, it relates to the poliferation of UK cleaning forums and the quality (or should I say formal qualifications) of those who set themselves up as forum moderators. Just to raise two questions: Are they sufficiently qualified to assess whether or not the processess contribiutors recommend are actually beneficial, rather than waste of time or even harmful?  Are they sufficiently conversant with health and safety princilples so has to be worthy of the forum members unreserved trust and confidence? Naturally i hope so.

Andrew form Edu-Clean UK

Posted by matt (matt), 9 April 2004
Andrew, i mod on many forums, have done for years, mainly Tech / PC type boards, some have been about PC case modifications (you know, add some lights and a window etc etc)

Ive also admin'd on various boards aswell, 1 of them p.haps the biggest tech board online with 10's of 000's of members

the point, my understanding of being a mod, is to just look after the board, remove any posts that are unacceptable to the admin of the board

and i must say, the guys here seem to do a good job, the  posts that have troubled me, have been dealt with and a PM explaining it sent to me

Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 9 April 2004
Hello Andrew and welcome back to CIU.  We look forward to your comments (and even new topics?).

Regarding a moderators responsibility:

Quote:
Are they sufficiently qualified to assess whether or not the processess contribiutors recommend are actually beneficial, rather than waste of time or even harmful?  Are they sufficiently conversant with health and safety princilples so has to be worthy of the forum members unreserved trust and confidence?

I would not advise anyone to unreservedly trust anything they see on this or any forum.  It would be foolish to do so.  What you see here are opinions and nothing more.  We're here to share ideas.  

If you, after reading something here, then go on to put into practice something that has been suggested, it is your responsibility to decide if what you do is safe, legal and beneficial.

The moderators here do not necessarily endorse or advocate any opinions the members express, we merely recognise that it can be helpful to share information.  As referred to in the sign-up agreement:

Quote:
Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this YaBB forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this YaBB forum.

That said, we do of course do our best to point out when a suggestion is obviously dangerous or illegal.(such as tax evasion for example).

-Philip
Posted by Neil (wylie), 10 April 2004
As a newcomer to both window cleaning and to forums back in October last year I soon realized that these forums are kept going by enthusiastic people who want to either share or to learn information and tips about the subjects which are of interest to all of us.
However I have never expected the forum moderators to decide for me what is good and what is bad information, I rely on my own common sense and experimentation.
Sure there may have been some duff info posted but there is enough knowledge in the form of regular users out there to pick up and put right anyone who posts something which is either incorrect or dangerous.
I trust in my own judgment but if that fails me then the years of experience out there will come to my rescue.
The moderators on here and other forums do a great job but they also have lives to lead so we cant expect them to watch our backs 24/7.
We are all equal on here, but moderators are just a bit more equal than the rest of us.  Smiley

Keep up the good work guys your efforts are appreciated.
Smiley

Neil
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 10 April 2004
We are all equal on here, but moderators are just a bit more equal than the rest of us.  
Nah, we were just the last to step back when the volunteers were asked to step forward Wink

Keep up the good work guys your efforts are appreciated.
It's just a way of giving something back, that's all.  Embarassed  

However, I know I can speak on behalf of Philip here, when I say that promises of everlasting loyalty, donations of strong drink, open tab at your favourite restaurant and/or the keys to your weekend cottage in the country will certainly be accepted with good grace.

Have a Happy Easter and be careful where you roll your eggs!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.