Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

National Federation of Master Window & General

Posted by Slatercleaners (Slatercleaners), 10 February 2004
Is it worthwhile joining the Fed?
I'm not being awkward, but I'm currently in Civil Engineering and membership of ICE gets you some magazines and this institution felt like it was for old school university buffs- it felt like I was paying for nothing
How is this different?
GS
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 10 February 2004
Hello GS,
I've been in the 'Fed' since I started cleaning windows in 1987. Is it worthwhile joining? I think that depends on what you want out of it yourself. What I mean is will it get you more work? Well as a member you can go on the tender list at head office. You can also take advantage of Yellow pages discounted advertising. I am a member because it shows that you are serious about your job. The N.F.M.W.&.G.C is the only trade organisation for us window cleaners. As a member you can benefit from cheaper Public Liability Insurance and Accident and sickness Insurance. It costs about £50 to join so it wont break the bank and that cost can be saved if you join their P.L. insurance. So yes I think its worth it. Oh and its definatly NOT 'old school tie' and all that!

Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 10 February 2004
I'm a member of the Fed, its quite good.  You get:

A magazine every quarter
Special rates on public liability insurance
Advice on health & safety - this is handy if you tender for public contracts.
Accident and illness cover at reduced rates, not a bad policy. (see this post: http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Startingwindowcleaning;action=display;num=1076161734 )
Optional Yellow Pages advertising (at extra cost).
Its a good way to keep up with the latest developments in the industry.
You need to be endorsed by another member or professional person before you can become a member.

The Federation also runs an annual trade show in April

Public liability insurance is compulsory (as it should be) but you dont have to go with the Fed's nominated insurance agent.

Annual membership costs about £50.

With so many cowboys around, Fed membership marks you out as a pro, I'd definately recommend it.  Have a look in your yellow pages, all the pros are members.

their website is:

www.nfmwgc.com

Silly
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 11 February 2004
Winkyep well said maty Cheesy Grin Wink
Posted by Willy (Willy), 2 March 2004
Quote:
"You need to be endorsed by another member or professional person before you can become a member".

I didn't know this, what is the best way of going about it? What sort of person? Please don't just say "Professional person"
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 2 March 2004
Either another member, (if you know any) or your:

Doctor
Teacher/Tutor/Professor
Solicitor
Accountant
Judge
MP

A simple letter from them saying that you are a legitimate businessman will be adequate.

At least that's what I think.

Philip
Quote:
"You need to be endorsed by another member or professional person before you can become a member".

I didn't know this, what is the best way of going about it? What sort of person? Please don't just say "Professional person".

Sorry I should have introduced myself. I'm just starting out and like things done properly, which is why I have joined this site, Already have got very valuable insight and info that would have taken years to find out the hard way, no doubt at the expense of losing good customers. All advise and hot tips graciously recieved.
Thanks Willy
Hi Philip, thanks for that. I thought thats whats what was meant but wasn't completely sure. Sorry about posting the same thing twice, just getting used to the format
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 2 March 2004
No problem, welcome to the forum!

Dont be suprised if Davie or me do a bit of "tidying up" on any posts where the formatting hasn't quite worked.  You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

You can modify your posts at any time by clicking on the "Modify" button in the top right corner of them.

Well done on starting off with a professional attitude, the Fed is definately a good place to start.  Ask your GP or accountant for an endorsement, if your really stuck, see one of the Fed committee at the Fed show (24th April in Leicester.  Details on their website-this is one not to miss!) and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

In the mean time, enjoy the boards and feel free to start a new topic if you want.

Philip

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.