Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Window Cleaning Gloves

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 November 2003
I have used window cleaning gloves before but i did not find them all that good but maybe they have improved since then Huh  How do you guys get on with them and what ones do you find the best Huh

Steve
Posted by fez (fez), 23 November 2003
I bought some of the Unger neoprene ones and I find them great, your hands stay warm and dry and they fit nice enough so that they don't affect your window cleaning. I've worn them a lot this week because of the frost and I left them on when it had warmed up. It says on them that they should not fit too tight so check which size is right for you. Wink
Posted by matt (matt), 23 November 2003
i have the unger 1's aswell, got mine from scrim city

they are great, i cut my hand doing some carpentry work, and the GG4 in the water burnt the surrounding area of the cut, and it went real sore, so i wore my gloves, they keep your hands real warm,

the only bad point is they make your hands stink real bad
Posted by paul (paul), 23 November 2003
I USE THE UNGER GLOVES ASWELL AND SO DO MY GUYS BUT THERE ARE SOME GOOD NEW ONES ON THE MARKET
CHECK OUT SCRIM CITY
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 23 November 2003
I `m also interested in  these gloves. I got some neoprene fishing gloves last year and they are warm but they began to wear straight away. I imagine window cleaning gloves would be stronger but will they last a while? I`ve read a bit about getting the correct size too and my others are XL although I haven`t got massive hands, so are they quite small sizes? I want comfort but not feel as if I`m working in boxing gloves. Gerry.
on 11/23/03 at 17:59:06, g_griffin wrote:
I`ve read a bit about getting the correct size too and my others are XL although I haven`t got massive hands, so are they quite small sizes?  Gerry.

I don't have large hands but I wear XL and the fit perfectly. They are hard wearing also.

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 23 November 2003
Cheers Fez,  XL it is then.    Gerry.
the first time i wore mine, i scagged the glove on my ladder (the bit which the rung hook is bolted to) and it scuffed the rubber off Sad, now water does leak into it,

But i guess as with scuba gloves (im a scuba instructor aswell, well trained as 1 in oz  Smiley) if you have a little water inside the glove it acts as a warm barrier, thus does no harm
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 November 2003
Do the unger gloves stay dry inside normally Huh because the ones i had before were damp inside and the place where i bought them said that they work on the same principal as a divers wet suit but i didn't like it.

Steve
No, they stay dry inside all the time, apart from a little sweat.
both my hands get damp, 1 from the small hole and the other from just sweat,

too be honest they are both the same "wetness" so it could just be sweat, would say they are wet, just damp, BUT you certainly know they are not dry Smiley
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 24 November 2003
Hi Fez and Matt,
                        Thanks for replying. The gloves i had actually got wet you could feel the water as soon as you put your hands in the bucket which is what i did not like. Sad

Steve
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 24 November 2003
Neoprene works that way. Try some disposable latex gloves underneath to keep your hands dry. Gerry.
Posted by Neil (wylie), 24 November 2003
I used a pair of unger Neoprene gloves for the first time today  Smiley
I thought they were great Smiley Smiley I normaly suffer with cold hands but not today Grin
It took about an hour to get used to them but then it was easy and never slowed me down (I am allways slow) Grin Grin
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 25 November 2003
Hi wylie,
           Did you find that your unger gloves let the water in Huh

Steve
Posted by Neil (wylie), 25 November 2003
Hi Steve,
No the gloves never let in any water but then I was careful not to allow the cuff to submerge into the bucket too far,
If however water does get in it should warm up quickly and actually help with the insulation, Like Matt I too have worked as a Scuba instructor and am used to working with thick neoprene and have always been impressed with its ability to keep you warm.
Neil Smiley

Posted by pussycatz (HCS), 27 November 2003
Millets sell thin inner gloves that can be worn inside the neoprene gloves so they act as a wick and stop your hands from sweating and making the gloves smell.
Then simply wash both sets of gloves on the weekend.

No more pong.
Posted by Staybright (Staybright), 5 January 2004
hi Guy's

Im new to this and just goin thru the archive's, best gloves to have are called sealskinz, pretty much the same as ungers but u can put you hand in a bucket off water and your hands will be completely dry..!! I wear a inner thermal glove aswell on extremeley cold days.
It does also say on the packet made for window cleaners.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 5 January 2004
Hi Staybright,
                    Welcome to the forum. Where do you get these gloves from Huh

Steve
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 5 January 2004
WinkI use the unger gloves to,they are very good,I am also
a diver since the age of 15,the gloves do let water in,but
only a small amount,the heat from your hands then warm the water trapped in between glove and hands Wink
they are great for useing poles as they get very cold Wink
Posted by Staybright (Staybright), 5 January 2004

I got the Sealskinz from a local camping and hiking shop, a friend told me about them. I have attached the link below. I was gonna get battery heated gloves as I use steel ladders all day on flats and me hands tend to get cold, but these are fine.

www.sealskinz.com

Another thing worth checking out is there socks !! waterproof socks would you beleive it !!
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 5 January 2004
I tried  a pair of the Unger ones ,  there not for me they make your hands feel weird , to girly  Grin Grin next you will be wearing lip balm  Shocked Cool
Posted by Bones (Bones), 5 January 2004
on 01/05/04 at 19:30:49, Majestic wrote:
I tried  a pair of the Unger ones ,  there not for me they make your hands feel weird , to girly  Grin Grin next you will be wearing lip balm  Shocked Cool

Oi!! I wear lip balm Kiss Kiss

And I do also have a pair of unger gloves Embarassed Mum bought me a pair as a Xmas Prexxie,  Roll EyesMothers Roll Eyes

They do feel weird, i will wear one just on one hand on a really cold morning for the first half hour. I reckon if you gave them time to get used to them they would be ok, but we are not like that are we Roll Eyes

Mikey
Bones
What flavour lip balm do you use, and can you get Unger gloves in different colours,  like  pink Grin Cool
What flavourHuh dunno?? what ever i pull outta the mrs draw ( Roll Eyesnot draws Roll Eyes)

Gloves, i just have the plain black one's with a "GO FASTER" green strap on them  Wink

Mikey
Posted by Neil (wylie), 5 January 2004
Hey guys Are you trying to give me a complex Huh Sad
I use both unger gloves and lip balm (mint)
I also have a wooly hat, but havent used me longjohns yet (i am waiting till it gets realy cold) Embarassed Tongue;   My old sgt Major used to swear by them.

Don't start on hat's, i get loads of P*ssy comments on the hat i wear Embarassed But it keeps ma bludy head warm!!

Mikey
Some people  wear  tights,  it was cold here the other day -2  so I put a coat on Cool
I like the idea of the battery  heated gloves, you could put a couple of slices of bread in and have some toast Grin Cool
Posted by Neil (wylie), 5 January 2004
no butter though it will make a right mess of the glass Roll Eyes
Posted by matt (matt), 5 January 2004
on the topic of these gloves, i use the unger 1's, the first pair i had split within a few weeks, so scrim changed them,

the new pair are showing real bad signs on wear and tear, also after a few weeks Sad, they have scagged and are letting in water, think i need something stronger Smiley
I will admit they bloody good for washing the motor with on the cold days Grin

Mikey
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 6 January 2004
Hi Staybright,
                   Thanks for the link. I have a cycle shop around the corner that stock these gloves(According to the site) so i will get some tommorrow if they have any.

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 6 January 2004
Bones,
Have you done any TV work HuhI saw an advert and thought of you it was the one for Bounty kitchen rolls, have you tried it wet yet Grin Grin Grin Cool
Posted by Bones (Bones), 6 January 2004
Majestic,

After seeing you advertising them on TV i thought if they are so good at soaking up i could use them instead of a scrim Roll Eyes They dint last that long Sad Wink Grin

Mikey

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.