Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

Re: leafleting advice needed please!!

Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 28 January 2004
Are you looking for residential or commercial. If residential, make sure you knock on their door after leafleting. This is more important than having a flashy leaflet. They will judge you by appearance, so dress fairly smart etc.

Make sure your leaflet has your home number, not just mobile (people are suspicious of mobile only). Your own name, not just company (The personal touch), and that you are insured and reliable (They must trust you). Doesn't have to be fancy though. Save the money  Wink
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 28 January 2004
I'm used to it as I have done a lot of voluntary work involving door knocking. But I still remember when I first started doing it. It IS tough. But once you get a couple of favourable responses it gets a lot easier.

One idea is to pick an area. Put out about 100 leaflets in a chosen street. Next day go back and door knock. Prepare your script! "I left a leaflet yesterday about window cleaning. Did you get it?" Explain that you are looking to increase your rounds. (Don't say just starting up. They might think you won't be any good) Then ask if they would like a quote. If not, tell them to keep the leaflet somewhere in case they change their mind or if their existing window cleaner gives up etc. etc.

One thing, don't undercut the existing window cleaner, that is a MUGS GAME. You want DECENT PRICED work only. V. Important! Also if you undercut him, and he in turn undercuts you, eventually the job is not worth doing. Who wins? Only the customer.

Reason I say put out only 100 is two-fold. You may find after 20-30 door that EVERYBODY has a window cleaner. If so, try another street. Also you don't want to get fed up. Do your hundred, then take a break. Maybe go out next day.

Keep plugging away. There is plenty of work out there. Let me know how you get on  Wink
Posted by adge (adge), 28 January 2004
I've an area in mind for my "tester" leafleting, it seems as though theres no current window cleaner as my mum does the domestic cleaning  round there and theres been a bit of uproar over the past months about the window cleaner going AWOL, he's apparently not been around for months......is this still stepping on his toes? or are they prime customer targets?!!!!.  Wink
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 28 January 2004
Hi adge
          I find with leaflets you only need to keep it simple. As Steve says above give them a knock the next day and you should pick up quite a few new customers.

Good Luck

Steve
Hi Steve,
Would you suggest doing the follow up knock during the day or might it be an idea to do it early evening when perhaps more people are in?.
Hi adge
           I would knock between 5-7pm as most people will be in. What area are you in  Huh

Steve
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 28 January 2004
I would say they are prime candidates, the one thing in your favour there, is the fact that if you are more expensive than the last guy, you can tell them that the last guy probably couldn't make a living out of it at his price and moved on.
Good luck
Denzle
I'm in Frodsham, Cheshire Steve. Relatively small town but theres potential here i think.........i bloody hope so anyway Grin
cheers Denzle, i dont think i could be much more expensive as apparently the last guy charged £24. Admittedly the property is large but £24!!!!!!
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 28 January 2004
Looks like you found your own personal goldmine there mate.
Denzle
fingers crossed denzle Wink . I'll be knocking away anytime soon so i'll keep ya posted.
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 28 January 2004
I dropped some leaflets a few months ago on a street where the wc went awol. Customers were chasing me up the street while I was still delivering them. Then those not in rang me.

If the wc has not been for a while then you probably won't need to follow up door knocking.

I never have, I do the half dozen or so that ring and the rest approach you while you are cleaning. If you knock on doors then I think it looks desperate to the customers then want to haggle with the price. If they approach you, you can charge practicly what you want.
alright Rob
 Yeah it seems as though he's been AWOL for a while and some of the properties in the area are quite substantial which in theory mean £££££'s but naturally i'll do my own investigating first before jumping into it as its a bit bizarre that such a seemingly profitable area was just dumped Huh
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 28 January 2004
Sometimes it is easier to earn more money on smaller houses. Maybe that is why he has dumped that street.
Its certainly a possibility, i guess i'll find out in the not to distant future!!!!
on 01/28/04 at 18:24:26, Rob_B wrote:
If you knock on doors then I think it looks desperate to the customers then want to haggle with the price. If they approach you, you can charge practicly what you want.

I don't think it looks desperate. Roll Eyes I don't let customers haggle with the price. I run a professional business and want paying accordingly.

Steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.