Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Problem solver

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 12 November 2003
Had a devil of a suite today. 4 seat sofa, 2x gentlemens chairs. Plain mink Dralon with patterned panels one side of each cushion. Never cleaned, 18 years old. Moderately soiled, but not bad considering it's age.

Inspection showed that on each cushion there was large identification numbers in black marker pen which had transfered to the fabric backing. On the patterned panels there was also a 1cm wide  band of a blue marker. There was no way of knowing if this had also been done on the chair and sofa frames. There was no way I wanted to HWE this suite. The black marker was soluble in solvent as well as water, and madam was desperate to have the suite cleaned as she couldn't lay her hands on a couple of grand for a new one.

Most experienced techs. on this board will be familiar with the technique I used, but we've had quite a few newbies of late, so I felt it was appropriate to post this. After receiving a suitable signiture as to liability, I dry vacced in the usual way but also used a dry brush to help open the pile and loosen the soil. I then misted lightly with OneStep Fineline @ 1:10, treating just an arm or cushion or panel at a time. I then towelled it. Quite aggressively but with a not too heavy touch. Repeating as required. Each piece was virtually dry upon completion. The results were stunning. When I'd completed the clean, I then dry vacuumed again. The results and virtually nil drying time has seriously made me consider whether this is a viable technique to use more often.
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 14 November 2003
Ken

To recap you did no HWE at all.

Just spayed with onestep and then toweled dry.

Basically you were bonnet buffing?
Posted by woodman (woodman), 14 November 2003

Yes Ken I have done this on many occasions,used to carry this out a lot on the old Viscose suites (how many have caught out by these),

Taking it a step further (excuse the pun) I recently had a call from a old customer who had a dinner party that afternoon and wanted her carpet cleaned and ready to use as quickly as possible.

The carpet is in nearly new condition,very lightly soiled
I vacuumed, sprayed a mist of One-Step, Duo brushed in
vacuumed again then pilated. 3/4 -1 hour later job done

Fantastic, carpet looked great and was dry before I left
she was over the moon as they say. Roll Eyes
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 14 November 2003
Yes Ian, I've refered to this technique myself as bonnet buffing for upholstery.
Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 14 November 2003
Woodman

Whats "pilated"  ?

Thanks

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.