Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Cleaning History

Posted by Andrew (Andrew), 9 April 2004
Carpet Beating

Whilst reasearching the history of window cleaning, i have in the last few months studied the contents of 70 trade diectories published between 1850 - 1920.  It seems that window cleaners, during this period were as much, "carpet beaters" as they were window cleaners.  it doesnt take a lot of imagination to work out what carpet beating was all about, but i wondered if anyone from the carpet cleaning sector could supply any detail, suggestion or observation about the "carpet beating" service.  Any and all replies most welcome and appreciated.

Andrew from Edu-Clean UK
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 9 April 2004
Andrew

I think this is one for Derek. He remembers this period very well Grin

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 9 April 2004
I used to work on a carpet beating machine, hense the glazed eyes and away with the birds expression! A long machine with rounded style coggs furiously spinning on the carpet gently beating the carpet and all with a minimal amount of suction. I used to wind the carpet in and then witha 'crank' handle turn clock wise 1 full turn and then 1/2 anti clock wise then repeat 1 full turn etc until carpet fell out of machine.

Monkeys could do it hense first 2 lines above, nearly left trade after 1 week but promised promotion to 'davar' machine which did the same thing but it sprayed water on carpets and then went through 2 hydraulic rollers.

Davar machine is not necassary nowadays as TMs can dothe same job.

You can see these contraptions on the open day at W.E.Franklins museum open day (don't ask me when it is)you may even see Mr Billy Franklin AKA Mr Burns from the Simpsons aha Monty

Shaun

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 9 April 2004
Shaun

Bill Franklin is not well and is now in a rest home.. sad really as he was still going strong in his mid eighties

Derek

ps ...I nearly forgot...Kenneth...I can certainly remember my grandparents putting the old peg rug out on the washing line outside and beating the living daylights out of it.
I still have my grandmothers old wood Ewebank carpet sweeper in the attic...it works too... it was her pride and joy

I have a picture (drawing from a book) somewhere which depicts a horse drawn carpet cleaning machine.. the forerunner of the modern day truckmount

Bye again
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 9 April 2004
Derek,

If my memory serves me well, these horse-drawn (Cartmounts?) were actually dry vaccum cleaners.

If they had the capability to wash the carpets, they would probably have had a methane-fueled water heater  Grin

John.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 9 April 2004
Your right John

It was a vacuum...a twin operator job I believe

Cheers
derek
Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 10 April 2004
John, are you sure they were not coal fired.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 10 April 2004
Fintan,

How much time have you spent behind a horse? It would be a shame to waste all that free methane gas !

John
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 11 April 2004
Derek I don't wish ill of anyone, just not a nice place to work.

Shaun

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.