Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

denim dye on upholstery

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 16 January 2004
I have to clean a cream settee as it has dark denim dye on it from a brand new pair of Jeans. I'm not certain what fabric it is but pretty sure it is natural fibre.
Have to clean it cos it's my settee  Sad Sad Sad

Any ideas what might shift it  Huh

Thanks Paul
Posted by peewa (neil 47), 16 January 2004
have you tried bleach  that should shift it  lol
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 16 January 2004
Gis a clue !!

Have you done a burn test on the fabric, what does it smell of  Huh Huh Huh
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 17 January 2004
Hi Paul

Subject to all the usual fibre recognition tests etc. You should be able to remove this colour transfer fairly easily with normal extraction cleaning.

Only on one occasion have I experienced this to be a real problem and that was on a pure white fabric where an eagle eyed customer said they could still see it.... I reckon they were after a new suite as they had realised just how impractical the colour was for day to day lifestyles.

I have seen many attempts, over the years, by consumers to, allegedly, get furniture/carpets changed by claiming faults when all it really was the fact that they had chosen a 'wrong' colour.

Derek    
Posted by Paul_Elliott (Paul_Elliott), 17 January 2004
As Derek knows I cleaned a suite that had what was explained as dye bleed from clothing on it. I tried everything to clean it without success. I walked away from the job but kept in contact with the customer.

The customer had the suite so called 'independently' tested and I have just heard that the company who sold them the suite have offered them a good discount against a new suite.

I have had other suites where the dye has been easily removed. Do a dry/wet crock test first.

Regards

Paul.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 18 January 2004
As a follow up...
over the years I have seen a lot of dye transfer from Denim also multi-coloured throws.

Some of the Oriental rugs have loose dyes which transfer onto fitted carpet beneath... there was a well documented case in the National newspapers a couple of years ago where a consumer had carpets replaced by the retailer following this colour transfer... it did go to Court

Regards
Derek
Posted by Paul_Elliott (Paul_Elliott), 18 January 2004
Derek,

Yep I have a customer who has a rug bought from Next which has transfered onto the carpet. She did get some form of compensation.

Regards

Paul.
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 20 January 2004
Thanks Guys for that.

I have tried to clean the suite using the old fabric restorer followed by the acidic rinse. The results were very minimal, you can still see the blue dye Sad

I've had the suite for about 4 years now and it's not very confortable anymore. Never buying from DFS again!
I am considering using a mild oxidising bleach, I'd prefer to look lighter in colour rather than blue patches.

Paul
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 20 January 2004
Paul,

Before going the oxybrite/Fibrebuff route, why not try one of the micro-splitters. I cleaned a cream linnen sofa last month that had a horendous blue patch where the lady swivled her nethter regeons as she streched out - Solution Nr. 4 took care of it  Smiley

John.
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 21 January 2004
Cheers John

I haven't anything to lose by trying something else.
I'll give it a go if I can get hold of some.
Are there any free samples available?

Paul
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 21 January 2004
sodiummetabisulfate or something close to that spelling might be off a bit.

First treat with solvent extract with sodiumeteabisulfate

dry FAST  and dry vacuum

FIRST  get customer to sign a release form.

IVAR Roll Eyes
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 21 January 2004
Ivar,

Sodium metabisulphite (Na2S2O5 is a slow-acting reagent - totaly unsuitable for use as an extraction agent.

Its' fumes are a broncial irritant, and it releases a toxic gas when in contact with acids. It should always be used with care, in conditions of good ventilation.

John.
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 22 January 2004
Sorry

I meant sodiumpercarbonate

IVAR Embarassed

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.