Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Temperature

Posted by peewa (neil 47), 1 March 2004
What temperature do you all clean at as it is a bit confusing some say hand hot other,s the hotter the better.

Neil

cornwall
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 1 March 2004
Hi Neil

There are those that swear by high heat... personally it depends on what I am cleaning and I tailor the heat to suit

Cheers
Derek
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 March 2004
Niel,

Like Derek, I clean at various temperatures.

Primary consideration is the fibre and structure, secondarily the chemicals employed and the soil type encountered.

John.

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 1 March 2004
I use high heat most of the time with no problem, I concider high heat to be hot anough to scold you if you touch the water.

I turn the temp' down when cleaning dralon or other fabrics that have a pile but all other fabrics get the full temp'

on carpets I always use the full temp' even on wool, I've heard that it can untwist  the fibres on some carpets but I've never seen this.

I speak to alot of carpet cleaners who are weary of using too much heat but will blast a carpet with a high Ph chemicals, which to me is much more risky

Mike
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 1 March 2004
Like Mike I use high heat on carpets, with no problems. Little bit wary on upholstery, as I had dye bleed on a sofa (But not the armchairs). Which I put down to high temp.
Posted by peewa (neil 47), 2 March 2004
Thanks lads at the moment i like to use high heat but do try different temps at times but i do like it high

neil
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 2 March 2004
Hi

In reply to Mike's comment about untwisting fibres...

sometimes the carpet yarns are not heatset at the correct temperature and they can burst when wet causing more light reflection and subsequently causing the carpet to lighten.

Using high temperatures will accentuate this phenomenom and the twist appearance will disappear completely.

Cheers
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.