Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

steam + red rx

Posted by jmj (jmj), 20 March 2004
Can anyone tell me the benefits of using a steam gun and red rx for  stain removal.Do you put red rx onto stain and then blast with steamer and blot with terry towel??If this is the case how does steam help the red rx to remove stain??
joe
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 20 March 2004
Jmj

I may use a steam gun on chewing gum but defiantly on stain removal, what I do use is a steamer like the wallpaper type I also use an iron plus the obligatory terry towels.

Len

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 20 March 2004
Joe,

Whilst steam from the pistol can increase the activity of a number of spotters, I find that with RedRX the thermal transfer method - iron & damp towel - is more effective.

With this method the towel is in direct contact with the fibre during steaming which means more pigment is removed.

John

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 21 March 2004
Joe,

Red Rx is applied to the stain and then a damp terry towel is folded and placed on top. You iron the towel which heats it up and creates a steam chamber under the towel. I beleive that some dyes are released at these high temps and you can get dye stains to shift from the carpet into the towel. On the occasions I have used this method it has had very mixed results, but it is worth knowing about.

Remember that some carpet dyes will also be released at high temps so tread carefully.

I don't think a steam gun would help in any way with red rx?.

Nigel
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 21 March 2004
Like Nigel, I have used iron and damp towel on red rx. Just be careful and KEEP checking the towel. Look for transfer of the carpet dye onto the towel. If not you may leave a lighter colour spot on the carpet where the carpet dye has also come out.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.