Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Traffic wardens

Posted by simonb (simonb), 8 February 2004
I have a mate who's black and has a van with a picture of a black man cleaning windows on his van.
He parked on double yellows and got back with his bucket and ladders to find the Law who said"Is this your van, sir?"
(I reckon their IQ is about 1)
He got a £40  fine and the job was worth £15
Anyone beat that?
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 8 February 2004
We do an office near the centre of town where parking is impossible.  I parked where you're not supposed to and before long the warden came along.

He stood next to where we had parked and looked at us working away with great interest (don't think he'd ever seen a girl window cleaner!), it was about 5 minutes before I noticed him.

I said "Oh sorry shall I move the car?" but he just smiled and said it would be ok for about half an hour and not to worry about it!

Ah the milk of human kindness...

Silly
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 9 February 2004
He parked on double yellows

It doesn't matter what colour you are - I'm Scots - if you're on double yellows, you get a ticket, end of story. Don't bring the race card into it, unless you're Chinese.

By the way, has anybody seen Chinese window cleaners in UK, or are they all take-aways?  Wink
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 9 February 2004
i dont think he was bringing the race card into it
it looked to me that he was just pointing out how stupid the copper was
but then why wouldnt the copper ask, !
Just a thought Grin
but he just smiled and said it would be ok for about half an hour and not to worry about it!

We've got TWO sets of wardens to bother about in our town - the ones sponsored by the local council/police who look after the green lanes, and the guys on commission who try on everything else.

To be honest, now that we've got them trained, they're not too bad. In the rush hour, expect no mercy. The rest of the day, if you give them a bit of banter they're OK, they're trying to do their job but they also realise you're trying to do yours, and they'll tell you to go round the corner, off the main road.

Great guys, salt of the earth and all that   Tongue
it looked to me that he was just pointing out how stupid the copper was

No further questions M'Lud - the defence rests  Wink
Posted by freegarda (Reflective Property Services), 9 February 2004
Got a sports centre I help a mate of mine on, has to be done on a Saturday. Sad Theres no parking within about a mile, so have to park on double yellows or lug the ladders all the way there.  Undecided First time we did it, got a ticket,  Angry argued with warden about it, no go. So now we have to do the job about 5.30 - 7 am before the warden turns up.
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 9 February 2004
Wink I have a classic for you,at the traffic lights in holborn
taffic warden starts taking my number down,my mate got out ,the lights changed,one month later £100 fine
i went to court and won,the warden said he put a ticket
on me,he did not Angrywere the traffic warden broke down
his story,he said he did an all window check,but he did not take down the black number which is on your tax disc,they have to do this,he did not Angry I went to court and put this to the beek with my mate,whos story was the same,it got chucked out,the wardens are at war with the drivers,its because the congestion charge has made drivers stay away,and now the wardens have to get money in,they do not give anyone a chance Tongue

Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 9 February 2004
Like Terry says wardens in London are vultures. Even worse now are parking cameras. They take your number using a zoom lens and you don't even know you have been caught until the fine lands on the mat.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.