Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

rug doctor??

Posted by paul@ctcs (paul@ctcs), 13 November 2003
Can someone please let me know what they think about  the Rug Doctor Pro 3.7G machine (the bigger one)is it a good option for small domestic jobs if used along with the hand tool?if not some suggestions would be appreciated.

many thanks

Paul
Posted by R.P.CLEANING (R.P.CLEANING), 14 November 2003
Paul
My view is buy one.U need an nhs one. It's a toy I am not a T/M er. They are a waste of money.
Cheers Rod
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 14 November 2003
It might be a good machine for spotting jobs

Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided :

IVAR Roll Eyes
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 14 November 2003
My first machine was a Rug Doctor wide track .

Water lift wise it has same performance as lower spec Prochem machines 2002 cat.

If used with a Turbo Fast dry can be achieved as due to built in brush agitation pre spray dwell times not much water is required. New machine has fast dry option.

My customers were pleased with the results.

Easy to carry upstairs.

Reliable for first year.

However I never felt it gave me crediability as a proffesional carpet cleaner as you can hire rug doctor in Homebase. I now use mine as a hire machine.

However I think it was because I allowed the lads on other boards to give me a complex.

Although I have upgraded.

I now have a complex about not having a truckmount again looking at performance data my portable performs or could be upgraded to perform aswell as the starter truckmounts

I
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 14 November 2003
Hi Paul

There are lots of people who have got into carpet cleaning using the Rug Doctor machines. They are reliable, robust, do a good job and are easy to use. They're not as versatile as the larger portables but then they're not as expensive! We find once people have traded up (as most people do whatever they buy!) they keep the Rug Doctor as a good standby machine (or hire them out like Ian).
They've just launched their new 'Quick Dry' chemical which we now stock and have had good feedback from.

If you're looking to buy one now is the time as there is a manufacturers subsidised offer on at the moment.

In summary: you can't get anything as good for the same money but if you were prepared to spend twice as much then there are others to consider. Like anything - you get what you pay for!

If you need more info give us a call.

Regards

Mike Boxall

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 14 November 2003
Hi All,

Am I the only one who thinks that a professional carpet cleaner hireing out a machine is somewhat akin to a brain surgeon hireing out a scalpel ?

No offense intended to those who do, but what does it do for the 'mop & bucket' image of our profession ?

John.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 14 November 2003
Although I don't hire out anymore, I used to do it about 12 years ago. I hold the exact opposite view to John on this issue, and regard it as a valuable add on if you have the time. Your hire machine(s) can also double up a spotter for you.

If you offer a professional cleaning service, you are not usually able to  cater for the price sensitive sector of the market. But if you offer a machine hire service, you can deliver the machine, supply quality consumeables and offer your expert knowledge to solve or prevent problems. What hire shop can do that? I would always deliver so that you know exactly where the machine is. You are able to charge a small premium for your superior service. I have quite a few customers today who started off as DIY clients, but as their career progressed and their disposable income became greater, their needs changed, and I already had my foot in the door.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
As usuall I agree with Ken,

I charge £25 a day complete with chemicals, delivery training etc.

I also test carpet or funiture for cleaning suitibility. ( Bit of an act but earns brownee points)

Mike.

Do the fast dry chemicals work in the Wide Track.

I believe they did an adjustments to the jets.

Do you stock Rug Doctor Spare parts.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 14 November 2003
Ken,

I take your point regarding the effect of your influence on the outcome.

Perhaps my own view has been influenced by  many years of convinceing my clients to abandon Vaxing, Vanish, 1001, Fairy Liquid and suchlike - "If you don't know what you are doing, let well alone"

I do offer free advice over the 'phone and manage to get many out of trouble useing 'household' remedies such a white vinegar, metholated spirit, soduim bicarbonate etc., saveing them the cost of a visit and me the problem of a spot being set as a stain.

Perhaps we can agree to differ on this point.

Regards,

John.

Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 15 November 2003
My very first machine was a little machine called a Champ, something similar to a Rug Doctor. After upgrading I just kept it as a stand by or spotting machine. Hired it to a customer once, came back broken,
that was my first and last time to hire out anything.
Fintan
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 16 November 2003
Actually Fintan thats just happened to me. The saftey Switch keeps poping up

Only had machine tested about three months ago.
Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 16 November 2003
Obviously something electrical Ian. Problem with hiring is children can mess around with the machine and cause damage. What does the customer care.
Fintan
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 16 November 2003
Hi Ian
Yes, Quick Dry chemicals work with both machines although the new machines do have this new quick dry function where you can restrict the output for light soiling which, in itself, would shorten the drying times anyway - I've yet to try them personally but we have had genuine good reports on it. The're really trying to get into the professional market at the moment because so much of their business is currently on the hire side.
Each 5 ltr container comes with a fitted pump dispenser and these new peel back labels with the health and safety info on them.
I have to say that they are one of the most reliable machines we've ever sold and failure rates are minimal hence the reason we only stock pumps and motors for them. Other spares we can get to order pretty quickly if need be.
There is a big market for hire machines and I understand that Prochem are about to release a 'Hire package' themselves for this end of the market based on thier Fivestar machine. Out of the 3 mentioned here (Rugdoctor, Champ & Fivestar) the Rug Doctor is by far the best machine AND the cheapest!!
Regards
Mike

Posted by paul@ctcs (paul@ctcs), 16 November 2003
looks like a rug doctor pro for the domestic work and a commanche for the larger comercial jobs,may look into one of these new rotary heads also  Smiley  any views on them would be welcome

Paul
Posted by paul@ctcs (paul@ctcs), 23 November 2003
I got one and first impressions are  good,its done half a dozen jobs all with great results!
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 24 November 2003
Paul you act fast.  Hope all goes well for you

Ian
Posted by paul@ctcs (paul@ctcs), 25 November 2003
Yeah had to act fast i've been flat out with commercial work so was lucky enough to borrow a rug doctor from a friends dad.What impressed me was how i was able to get  one of our cleaners to use the rug doctor with great results on some highly soiled office carpets.My company have a machine of our own now so hopefully will get years of good service from it.

Paul Grin
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 26 November 2003
Why use a Rug Doctor for domestic and commanche for commercial??

Why not use commanche for domestic a swell??

Look more professional to your domestic custies!!

Ta

Mark

Posted by paul@ctcs (paul@ctcs), 26 November 2003
I needed two machines! my commercial work which 90% of the time is on two main sites next to each other so i tend to leave the commanche there if i can,this leaves our domestic work for letting agencies between tenants which sometimes is undertaken by one of my female workers so i needed a machine which can be easily (ish) carried up stairs,give good results and be reliable  Smiley Smiley
Posted by Lionel (Lionel), 27 November 2003
Regarding Mikes comments. Could you explain why a rug doctor is better than a five star. Rug Doctors have oscillating brushes which are not carpet friendly compared to the rotating brushes of the five star.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 27 November 2003
Loinel,

I am not a fan of either machine but fail to see how brushes rotating in the horizontal plane can be more carpet friendly than the oscilating brush , which works  more in the vertical plane ! Which do you feel most likely to un-twist yarn ?

John.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.