Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Marketing

Posted by peewa (neil 47), 27 January 2004
Whats the best marketing idea you,ve ever had that worked well .Just starting and looking for ideas first thing I,m having the van all sign written this week.

Huh Huh
Posted by nr_neil (nr_neil), 27 January 2004
If it is domestic leaflet drops and calling to the door and for commercial well written letters on headed paper printed by a reputable printer seem to have worked for me.
Trial and error.try all types and monitor the response to see which is more effective in your area
Posted by RAINBOW69 (CATMAN), 27 January 2004

It's hit and miss with marketing. Whatever you do don't stop even when your busy. Get the work then decide how you want to do it. Don't quote over the phone, show people your professional, got out and meet them. Show them what you do, what you use, get testamonials, photographs of previous workmanship in a folder. Don't try and get work on cost. You'll never compete with weekend merchants, splash and dash, and people on the social.
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 27 January 2004
Sorry I do not agree with that last post.
Alot of this depends on where you get most of your work and the area that you work.I have completed 3 jobs today , done £230 but had to travel 78 miles in my truckmount van.
If I had to go and price this work it would get to the stage that I would be spending more time pricing than i am cleaning.
I have done it like this for 10 years with no problems , my customers keep coming back and I have no complaints,and am generally always busy (too busy sometimes.
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 27 January 2004
Agree with squeeky, when I first started I went out to quote at the drop of a hat, Just dont have time now. You do get more jobs when you visit, but you cant be everywhere at the same time. I usually now only visit the larger jobs.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 27 January 2004
Hi neil

check out some of the previous posts on here on this subject there is some great advice and ideas on leaflets
that may be of help.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 27 January 2004
Smiley
Leaflets drops are a good way to start and having the van sign written, but make sure they look professional.

I agree with squeaky, if you ask the right questions and give your method of cleaning over the phone, you don’t need too visit the domestic customer, most new customers are price shopping any way and existing customers know your quality of work and give referrals.

Len

Posted by peewa (neil 47), 28 January 2004
Thanks for all your ideas I,m going to try leaflets first to see how that go,s and I,ve already sent some letters out .
To late to get in the yellow pages though

thanks again

Neil Grin
Posted by RAINBOW69 (CATMAN), 28 January 2004

This guy is brand new out of the wrapper I would like him to give us all an update on how his marketing works. He has no customers as yet so how does he sell his services. One of you admits you used to do it but not now. Why because you are already established, you have goodwill, referalls,etcs. Look at it from his perspective not yours. He will become more confident in his own ability as he meets and discusses carpets with people. Most people are price shoppers but if you get face to face, you have more chance of bagging the job.
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 28 January 2004
The question that he wanted to ask should have been.

PAPERS ,LEAFLETS, YELL, THOMSONS and any other form of marking the all work at some time the thing is to get them all working together and from a standing start thats hard.
Posted by Alan_Harrison (Alan_Harrison), 28 January 2004
If you are just starting up make sure that keep comprehensive customer records. Use Excel or even better, MS Access to create a database of clients and the work you do for them. This mailing list will become your most important marketing tool. Access is hard to learn at first and gets harder as you progress. It's definitely worth taking the time. Existing clients are much more likely to use you rather than someone they don't know, but don't expect customer loyalty to extend to remembering your name and phone number. It's up to you to keep in touch. When you're out on a job, ask if you can measure other rooms...record it. If it's a "Barrett Home" you know the neighbours house is likely to be the same size/layout. When you get a call you can quote without having to leave your chair. You can even keep a note the type of customer they are. Good/poor payer, state of the house. One your database is up and running you can get your Missus to administer it while you do the donkey work.

PS
Don't forget to register with the data protection act. It only costs about £36 per year I believe.
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 28 January 2004
If you want to build any business fast in the home improvements market the answer is to go door knocking.

Unless you can aford ro distribute 10000 plus leaflets a week you will be sitting at home wondering if you have made a big mistake.

There are 1000s of marketing stratergies.

Regards

Ian

Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 28 January 2004
This ones for the new starts.
Dont leave marketing until you have bought you carpet equipment.
1. order leaflets
2. Small local paper ad
Week 2
1 Deliver leaflets
2 paper again
Week 3
Door knock leaflet area
Paper ad
And so on it never stops if your marketing stops you can be sure the phone will. Huh Huh
Posted by suedsct (suedsct), 29 January 2004
can you show me where these previous post are ? thanks

sue  Roll Eyes
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 29 January 2004
Sue ,

Go to 'Carpet cleaning issues' and scroll through the 12 pages.

regards

Mark

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.