Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

V2 Portable Steamate

Posted by RAINBOW69 (RAINBOW69), 23 November 2003
Hi,

Does anyone have a V2 portable steamate  . I would like to now how reliable it is compared to mine.  Since buying   in Feb-03, I have had steam entering the electics, it blows consumer units, it's been back to for repair, the insulation on the wireing breaks down, it fails PAT testing. All this with very little use. When it does work, the results on carpets and suites are great, with less effort.Problem is it doesn't work that often

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 23 November 2003
69er

I'm not refering specifically to Ashby's products, but in-line heaters in general. From what I've heard from other cleaners and from reading the postings on various forums, I've formed the opinion that in-line heaters, whether contained within a machine or as an add-on accessory, are inherently unreliable. My first thoughts when I heard of a heater capable of producing steam was that the higher temperature had the potential to create more problems.

Having said all that,  what fabulous tools they are. But as you say, they may not work that often. My old technology set up with a tank heater has serious heat limitations as the the higher temperatures it is capable of (eventually),  would compromise pump reliability. C'est la vie Sad
Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 23 November 2003
Looks like i saved me self £500 a few weeks ago then. Grin Grin

Seriously its not the first time i have heard of problems with these.

Then again there are prob people on the board that have them and have had no problems.

Mark
Me again

When using the heat exchanger where about in relation to the machine is it.

Is it connected as the hose comes out the machine or do u place is say nearer the tool.

Ta

Mark

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 23 November 2003
Mark

A typical set up for inboard equipment is to have the exchanger between the pump and the outgoing QD fitting. For add-on it's typically connected to the machines QD fitting, and your hose to the exchanger. If you had it close to your wand, you'd end up tripping over it.
Ken

Thanks ken

Its just that some people have said to have it nearer the wand so as not to lose heat etc.

But like you I have wondered about another peice of kit to trip over etcetc.

Ta

Mark

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 23 November 2003
This thread could not have been timed better. I ordered one last week and expect delivery next week. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I do hope I haven't just wasted £500

Nigel
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 23 November 2003
Nigel,

No, I don't think you have wasted you hard-won loot !

I have a V2 Steamate, one of the first off the line and it was returned six times under waranty but I would not wish to be without it.

I would not recommend it for cleaning of temperature-sensitive fabric, since regardless of the thermostat setting, if you pause for a few minutes, for example, to prespray a cushion, the first hot water emmited can be very much hotter than the set temperature. This is due to the fact that the temperature sensor is located outside (after) the core, thus the equipment is unable to respond to the continued heating within the core. When the flow through the unit is fairly constant this problem does not occur.

With regard to placement of the unit, I prefer to have it 25 ft (my standard hose lenth) from the wand - it makes no sense haveing it 50 or 75 feet away or whatever distance you are from the machine and 25 foot is suficient that it should not represent a significant trip hazard in the work area.

A cautionary note to anyone not used to working with high temperature is to remember that not only do the brass conectors get very hot, that the supply hose itself can heat-set a track in the pile, especially if trodded on Embarassed

John.

PS  When speakin to an engineer at Ashbys last week, I was told that the later (Blue rather than black) models are much improved.
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 23 November 2003
Thanks John,

I feel a bit better about it now Grin

Nigel
Posted by RAINBOW69 (RAINBOW69), 23 November 2003
Mine is Blue.

It's not the colour, it's the design. If they moved all the gubbins, into a seperate box, that is totally away from the main body, it would be fine, instead theres wires, a relay, switches all prone to water damage, in the same area as the coil.

It is a recipe for disaster.  
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 23 November 2003
I bought mine with an Ashbys portable set up, second hand.
It came straight from Ashbys and had just been serviced.
Pluged it in to try out and it tripped the electrics out in the customers house straight away.
When I looked at it it was leaking inside and the heat exchanger was charred. Sent back to Ashbys and they said I needed a new heat exchanger and heater £300 plus.(and it had just been serviced?)I dont think so!
I'm not very happy Angry
I advise anyone to steer clear.
John
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 23 November 2003
hd one (Black) for 18 months. Had one problem with a relay I think. Returned fixed no probs under warrenty. I tend to use it next to the machine, and it works fine. I mainly use it for jobs where no hot water (Ideal) or commercial jobs. Great piece of kit.
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 25 November 2003
I have one and it work just fine with great results, however, I've had the same problem as 69er with the insultation on the wire breaking. I've burn my fingers a couple of times.

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 26 November 2003
Rainbow69 are you a Rainbow Franchise
Posted by RAINBOW69 (RAINBOW69), 27 November 2003
Yes, I am a Rainbow franchise.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 27 November 2003
And, Rainbow69, are you a 69er Kiss?

Ken
Posted by RAINBOW69 (RAINBOW69), 27 November 2003
Yes! 69er, franchisee,  Male , 2.4 Kids, White Van Man, Carpet Cleaner, Shit Shifter, Lover Of The Public(Usually The One's Who Want Something For Nothing).  

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.