Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Cash,Credit cards or cheque

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 12 October 2003
How do you normally get paid gentleman.

All the best

Alex
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 October 2003
I've found as my prices have gone up I'm getting less cash payments. if your average job price is £35 then you'll usually get paid in cash but if you're getting over £80ish average job price then you'll get cheques.

I was  thinking of telling customers i don't take cheques for less than £50 becuse it was getting hard to hide it from the Tax man Winkbut I've just gone limited so now it does'nt matter.

I don't take credit cards.

Mike

Thanks for the info.

What i have been thinking of is something like the below link.

http://www.streamline.com

My unexperienced logic is if someone has a messup they may not have the cash to pay straight away.

I am a ebayer now and again and have a had a few cheques bounce on me too.

I could look more attractive being able to take cards.

Whats your opinion , am I making the typical newby mistake and thinking too deeply about all this.

All the best

Alex

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 October 2003
I've been asked about credit cards twice in the last 3 years, ,most cheques now come with a £200 cheque Gaurantee card so thiers no problem.

One good thing about credit cards is they make you look more established & reputable

what sort of customer are you aiming for? don't aim for the budget customer who can't afford  to pay when they have a mishap.

in some ways you're thinking too much about the little things. Don't worry;

you'll do the job...

then they'll pay you...

either cash or cheque ...

no problem Wink

mike

cheers , thanks for the advice. Grin

I'll put that on the backburner for now, although i agree with you thought it may make me look more professional. Cool Cool

All the best

Alex

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 12 October 2003
Just to be different Alex - I actually give nearly all my clients an account. The invoice is despatched the day after the job is done and I await the cheque Shocked

Works really well for me but not sure I would recommend it in many situations in this business.

The software I use for running my business offer a merchant account to allow clients to pay bills online by credit card/switch etc. I really liked the idea but thsy wanted 5% for the pleasure. Born and bred in Yorkshire so you know what happened to that idea!!!

Nigel
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 October 2003
Hi

All of my payments are made either by cash or cheque... in all the years I have been working I have only had one cheque bounce.... the lady was so embarrassed she brought the cash round the same evening.

Like Mike I have only been asked if I take Credit cards twice.

Unlike Mike I do put through all cash and sleep very soundly at nights.
I have worked for many Tax and VAT inspectors over the years and you don't usually find out what they do for a living ... they are a cagey bunch

The Tax people also can take one figure from your accounts and tie it up with a guide reference book...if the rest of the figures don't add up you get a visit from the Collector of taxes...not nice.

This happened to me when I moved away from Contract Cleaning and dispensed with all my part-time staff.. they wanted to know why the staff has disappeared?

Regards
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.