Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Rememberence Sunday

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 8 November 2003
Nothing to do with carpet cleaning, but tommorrow is Rememberence Sunday, I will be on the summit of Great Gable along with over 1000 others for the simple service held there every year. At 11am for two minutes there, mountaineers will stand in silence thinking of those to whom we all owe so much.

'In Flanders Fields' by John McCrrae.

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Dave.
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 8 November 2003
Lots of people lost through these years. It is unreal when you watch on t.v what happened.
I'm sure that every one reading would have lost a family member, (though you may not know now) as milions had died so that we now have a free life.
John
Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 8 November 2003
two minuntes is all it takes tomorrow lets all give it a go, for without our brave foref athers we wouldn't be doing what we do today.

Nick
Posted by john_archer (john_archer), 9 November 2003
WELL DONE DAVE ,TOP MAN,ALL EX SERVICEMEN WILL APPLAUD AND THANK YOU.
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 9 November 2003
Cry GOD BLESS ALL OUR MEN AND WOMEN THAT GAVE
UP THERE LIVES SO WE CAN HAVE FREEDOM  AND
OUR CHILDRENS CHILDREN,THEY WILL ALWAYS BE THERE, Sad BUT NOT FORGOTTON, Sad TRUE BRITS,WOULD ONLY HAVE DONE THIS Angry

Terry
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 9 November 2003
In memory of all those who lost their lives I would like to say "Thank You"!

God bless
Alex
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 10 November 2003
Hi Guys

My father died during the last war in 1942... I was twelve months old when it happened....

Although one of my interests is military history, war in all its forms, is simply a waste of human life.

Derek

Posted by woodman (woodman), 10 November 2003
Sad

Sorry to hear that Derek,,

My uncle was killed at the Black Forest on the 4th April
1945.  Sad

My son is named after him.

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 10 November 2003
Derek,
Agree with you there about war just being a waste of human life. I do believe in standing up and being counted though when an agressor is knocking on your door. Last year my sister came upon three of my grandads 1st world war diaries. The other have been lost. It told the storey how he and his mates survived or died during years of trench warfare, truly harrowing stuff especially as it was all written on location, so to speak. He was killed during Air Raid Warden duty in Manchester during World War Two. During my army posting in Germany in the late seventies, my mum and dad visited for a couple of weeks. On the way back from a trip to Hannover my dad spotted a British Military cemetary. We parked up in the grounds and wandered between the headstones. I noticed my dad paying attention to one, when I went over, he said he knew hed been buried in Hannover. He was stood at the grave of his best mate, killed by a land mine shortly after the German surrender. As the poem reads - we must not break faith.
Dave.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.