Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Employee References

Posted by CLEANX_UK (CLEANX_UK), 27 October 2003
HuhIf anyone could give me any advice on this matter, it will be greatly appreciated. A member of staff walked out on one of her jobs and didn't return to work. I had had numerous complaints about her and on this particular day recieved another one, she thought she was a good cleaner but obviously she wasn't. I have since been to do a clean at one of the jobs she did on her own and was disgusted at the state it was in. My problem is that I have recieved a letter requesting a reference for her: Do I have to fill it in? is there any guidelines for this sort of thing? I can't give her a good reference-I would be lying. But also I don't want to give her a bad one.

Many Thanks Jane
Posted by pristineclean (pristineclean), 27 October 2003
you're not obliged to give a reference, and you're quite right to stay away from the potential problems you'll encounter if you give a bad reference.

It might be an idea, if you feel it appropriate, to respond with a reference which is honest in terms of those qualities which your ex employee had.

Was she a good timekeeper? reliable? popular with other members of the team? able to respond to instructions from management?. If the answer to none of these is yes, then that invites the question as to why she worked for you at all. If you can find something positive to say, then, at the very least, it prevents her calling you to ask why she has been unable to get a reference...
Posted by A_to_Z_Clean (A_to_Z_Clean), 27 October 2003
HI,

Don't give her references.

You doo so becuse she walked out on You.

It is no such law to force You to give references.

Adam
AtoZ Clean Grin
Posted by catrodney (catrodney), 27 October 2003
To give no reference is better than giving false information,
If the company sends another request for a reference just ring them and tell them that you are unable to supply one,this way nothing is in writing and there would be no future legal wrangles if they decide to employ this person and she treats the company the way she has you.
If the ex employee contacts you"which i doubt"tell her the truth.
Posted by DP (DP), 27 October 2003
I find it odd that she walked out, and then thought it ok to put you down as someone to take a reference from.

I agree that I would prefer not to give reference however if you feel you must, another option would be to respond with just simply the dates she worked for you and nothing else.

Ignore any standard form you may have received asking awkward questions, and just return your own letter with the dates.

You will have done your bit without having to lie about anything.

Posted by Fox (Fox), 27 October 2003
I can't believe that this person has asked for a reference!  I definately wouldn't give her one.  If they persist for a reference then just tell them you're not prepared to give one, this tells it's own story.

They will probably ask why, I usually tell them that I am not at liberty to discuss the situation for obvious reasons.  They normally leave it at that.

I always tell my employees at the outset that if they leave without notice or are dismissed for any reason I will not give them a reference, this does make some think and be fair, but for others it goes right over their head!

Posted by CLEANX_UK (CLEANX_UK), 28 October 2003
SmileyMany thanks to everyone for the advice, it was really appreciated.
Jane

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.