Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

YP/Thomson Local

Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 8 February 2004

I have to re-new my YP advert again very soon, its the same every year, how much do I spend, which book do I go in, YP or Thomsons

Been offered a decent size van shapped advert in Thomsons or do I go in YP with the other 10 pages of adverts.

Although the YP advert last year was very basic, there was a poor response from it and the usual price shoppers which I can do without.

Question is, did I read someone on here say a bigger line on Yell.Com is much better than and advert in the book, what is everyone else doing, would you recommend a decent advert in Thomsons.

Please comment.

Phil
Posted by chris_rushton (Chris_R), 8 February 2004
Gave up on Thomson years ago, very poor response.
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 8 February 2004
I've just booked into 2 Thomson's at a cost of £480 +VAT.

4 jobs and it's paid for, into profit after that a very small expence for the return it will give.

Gave it a miss last year, so they have given me a 50% larger ad to get me back.
Posted by Alan_Harrison (Alan_Harrison), 8 February 2004
I say bite the bullet and pay Yellow Pages. It seems a rip off but you do get calls. Your need to examine your own telephone skills when dealing with the calls. That's the deciding factor in the YP being successful or not.

Also

YP are easier to deal with now they have dropped the all American hard sell technique. Thompson are still sending out 3CPO's with pre-recorded messages in their head to sell advertising space. (In my experience)

Posted by Alan_Harrison (Alan_Harrison), 8 February 2004
Nice move John. I'll remember that technique.

Now just for interest. Where does everone keep thier Tompsons directory.

Mine's in the study at the back of the sofa. (It's lost a castor)

Cheesy
Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 8 February 2004
In my opinion thes directories all differ in there effectiveness up and down the country. There may be certain locations where the YP does not cover as well and people find the Thomsons the better of the two.

I think in general though it is understood that the YP has the greater impact and market share.

When assessing effectiveness it should also be considered the the YP not only is seen as an avenue for new business, but also as a point of reference for your existing clients to re contact you.

Regards

Robert Olifent
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 9 February 2004
I tried the Thompson directory for 2 years ,the first year I had 3 bookings from the ad and decided that i was not going to do another year as the money made was less than the price of the advert,then I had a call from TD to renew and they talked me into a half page saying that my previous ad was too small which is why I had such a poor response,well would you believe it I only had 2 booking from the ad in the year ,so Thompsons is out the window.

I have always had 3 or 4 ads a year in the YP but each year I experiment with it ,This year I cut my adverts down to under half size than the previous year and yet I am getting a better response ,is it because punters think that they are using a smaller company so perhaps will get a more personal service ,I do not know,but I do not think that YP is the best value for money although it  is a necessary evil.

Mark
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 9 February 2004
Hi

Thomsons, for me, is a total waste of money although I do agree with Robert....in some areas it appears to have a distinct edge over the Yellow pages.  When you go into someones house just ask where they keep their Thomsons Directory...you will invariably find it at the bottom of the pile 'out of sight out of mind'

Yellow Pages advertising is a 'necessary evil' and like many other businesses I have been 'pressured' into taking larger sized adverts or white adverts...Whoah ...I resisted going to colour.

I have now resorted to my original concept by taking the smallest size display advert...it serves just as well.

I, personally,  think that all efforts should be channelled into the content/appearance of the advert rather than size.

Derek
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 9 February 2004
YP rep been to me 2 weeks ago and renewed my Yell.Com advert but with extended coverage (+£75).
Thinking of trying 118247 Huh But NOT renewing directory ad at all, will take free line entry and managed to get landline and mobile entries Tongue
Taken out ThomsomLocal.Com advert but also only free line entry in directory.
My view is that there are a large number of full page adverts that will catch the eye more than mine so why even try (at great cost). I also monitor call/enquiries and directory adverts cost 3 X as much as .Com adverts but only account for less than 15% of new clients Shocked
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 9 February 2004
Winkthe 118247 we have taken out,so far nothing Huh
we have adds with YA next month,london and romford
and ilford come out in march,and one in the southend edition,I hope they work,some 7 years ago we did this,all we got was begging calls Huh Tongue
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 9 February 2004
WinkI just checked today to see if my contents were still
correct on yell.com to my horror,they are not Angry they changed my phone number,from my mobile to number
I dont even know,they are getting there top dogs to call
me,I told them we have adds coming out next month,
they had better be right,no wonder I was getting no calls Angry Tongue
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 9 February 2004
Had Thompsons ad since Sept last year. Cost £ 440 revenue £ 630. Yell.com free ad cost £ 0  revenue £ 230.
YP ad coming out in March. Cost £ 1200 revenue £ ? Will give it 12 months to see results but not overly optimistic.
Posted by Paul_Elliott (Paul_Elliott), 9 February 2004
I once spent £k's on YP. I have now seen the light.

I spend my advertising budget more carefully and locally. I have probably doubled my income since dropping YP.

Why spend £k's on advertising next to your competitors?

I have my number in the YP just for reference reasons only.

Regards

Paul.
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 9 February 2004
I get loads from YP, a little from Thomsons and nowt from Yell.com, leaflets are very good but are too time consuming making sure they are printed and delivered to agent and then I always do a few cold calls to make sure they got there.

Shaun

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.