Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Hard floor problem

Posted by petra (petra), 18 February 2004
Well just come across a floor that has been coated in varnish (oil based)
Any of you have idea's on how to strip it (using paint stripper at the mo)
Petra
Posted by Les (Les), 19 February 2004
Hi Petra,
I haven't noticed you on the site recently  Cry Busy stripping that floor by the looks of it  Smiley
Have you tried Mike B to see what Express might have ?
Is it the oil base that's the trouble, oh, and what type of flooring is it ?
I've used a product called 'Floorstrip' with reasonable success and I will check with my supplier to see if suitable once I know about the type of flooring involved.
Les
Posted by petra (petra), 19 February 2004
tried all normal strippers to no avail, not been on site, as Im just going throught marital breakdown m8, but im fine, actualy very happy. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Petra
Posted by Les (Les), 19 February 2004
Hi Petra,
glad to read second half of you reply, (keep smilin  Grin but not in public places because people think you've lost the plot  Grin Cheesy Wink )
So what type of flooring was it ?

Posted by Darren_Sharpe (Darren_Sharpe), 26 February 2004
Hi Petra

If you could let me know a little more about the surface you are trying to clean and the type of covering (layers)I may be able to help but only if it is definately oil based.

regards

darren Sharpe
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 26 February 2004
Wink
Hi Petra,

Call this company cleaning systems uk you will get them on this web site www.cleaning-systems-uk.com
ask for Gordon the do alot of produts for stripping and sealing wooden floors.

Regards Barry..

Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Wink Wink Wink
Posted by petra (petra), 29 March 2004
it was varnish....... Sad
petra
Posted by adl (dave555), 30 March 2004
most floor strippers are used for sealents only if it is varnish as you say then i would ether find out what was the brand used and contact the manufacture for the stripping agent (most manufacturers make a stripping agent for their sealents however if it is varnish then you will most probebly have to sand the floor we do alot of pubs that have been dimond glazed and the only way to get them stripped is with a belt sander (about 20 quid a day all hire shops have them working along the length of the timber gives a very even finish, be carefull if using this method on domestics as most belt sanders only come upto 240 grit paper so if you are re-varnishing the floor then following the first coat give the hardened varnish a light sand prior to the second coat to give it an nice finsh.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.