Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Which Pole is best ??

Posted by recs (recs), 2 March 2004
I need to get a decent pole as the work is piling up and a few of the jobs require a little pole work. I would rather spend a few more pennies on the best pole around so can i have your tips;
what is the best length?
2 or 3 section
is it worth getting the extras i.e. angled grip,etc
where is the best place to buy??

Posted by fez (fez), 2 March 2004
It really depends on the work you have, I use the Unger teleplus system - 2m lengths and I have three lengths (so around 5.5m in total).
I use it for cleaning conservatory roofs and for hard to reach windows occasionally. I like it and I'd recommend it.
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 3 March 2004
Hi Fez do you find that most punters will pay 20 grand for a coservatory to store their pushbike in but wont spend £25 quid to have the roof cleaned and then usually the dirt is on the inside. Thats when I say bye bye.
Posted by fez (fez), 3 March 2004
Yep, you're right. I actually hate houses with conservatories. People don't seem to want to pay the extra that it costs to have the windows cleaned, never mind the roofs. An eight or nine pound house should be £12 - £15 with a conservatory, but most seem to moan when I quote for it.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 3 March 2004
We use the Ettore R-E-A-C-H pole. That's the one with black grips and twist-lock thingies and gold effect finish.

It looks good and has a good weight to it, if you've been using the DIY ones from B+Q you'll think the Ettore is awfully heavy, but that helps the poling action.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 3 March 2004
An eight or nine pound house should be £12 - £15 with a conservatory,

Fez, I think you should rethink your prices if you're including the conservatory. Most of them have more glass than the total area of the windows in the house!

One lady recently asked us to start cleaning her new one, I said I'd time myself and charge her at the same rate as the house. It took just over the usual time so I asked for double. She thought that was a bit dear, and so, in a nice way of course, Wink I said she should get her son to measure up the glass in the house and also the conservatory and see how they matched up.

Next visit, I asked if she wanted the conservatory done - "Yes, every time, no problem" Nuff said - I maybe should have asked for a bit more!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.