Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

How would you clean?

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 17 October 2003
I have job to clean a carpet that has a trail of cooking oil over it  which was spilt when the customer took out the rubbish. It has been there for about a week and the usual cenario of the customer trying to clean (RUB) away but no success.
It is a synthetic carpet, probably polypropylene and wondered if anyone has a recommended cleaning agent?
Thought of using an enzyme prespray to try and digest the stains?  Undecided

Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 17 October 2003
I would use a high ph degreaser (ph13), this is usually ok on polyprop, it will get rid of grease or oil no problem, or try Prochem Citrus Gel but always test or be very carefull on wool.
John

Posted by Fox (Fox), 18 October 2003
why not try the old remedy - brown paper and an iron - of course you are going to have to clean the carpet afterwards and use a chemical to suit but you would have at least taken some of the oil out.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 19 October 2003
on 10/18/03 at 18:01:31, Fox wrote:
why not try the old remedy - brown paper and an iron - of course you are going to have to clean the carpet afterwards and use a chemical to suit but you would have at least taken some of the oil out.

Hot iron on polypropylene for vegetable oil?

Although carpet_bright appears to be a relative newcommer to carpet cleaning, he would be better off with his own inclination of taking the enzyme route.

Citrus gell would also work (a bit expensive for  a long trail) as would most of the limonene products or a good TLC, One Step etc., so why risk collateral damage?

No offense intended,

John.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 19 October 2003
Hi

Polypropylene has the lowest melting point of all the man-made fibres so be careful when using high temperatures.

Vegetable oil which has penetrated through to the backing will, more than likely, wick back to the surface at some point which may result in another visit.

Polypropylene is a derivative of oil and therefore attracts oil based materials...if hot when spilled the vegetable oil may have caused permanent staining.

Derek
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 19 October 2003
Thanks for your comments so far guys

Yes I am relatively new to carpet cleaning, now about 12 months. The oil in question was cold when spilt but it may have travelled to the carpet backing as the customer has tried to clean it up herself. She said she did try to BLOT out first of all - hmmmmmHuh?
Perhaps I'll stick to the hot water and enzyme route to start with. Think the iron may be a bit risky on polyprop. but I am happy to take advise.

Regards - Paul (relatively newbie!)

Wink

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 20 October 2003
Paul

Whatever you use for this type of soiling will probably be of an elevated pH. It is important for various reasons to neutralise afterwards, whether in your rinse solution or as a post cleaning spray on treatment. If it's a low profile carpet (the usual type in kitchens which is where I presume this carpet is), it may be advantageous to bonnet mop/dry the carpet after cleaning to reduce the drying time and enhance the cleaning.
Posted by acleanerplace (acleanerplace), 21 October 2003
may i suggest bonnet mopping the floor wth a ph agent then roto wash te remove final ol trail rotowash will lift final bits of oil

mike collins

anything else dont hesitate to ask
Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 21 October 2003
Hi all,

I used to work for insurance companies and this was quite a common claim. i would use a citrus base product followed by pre-spraying A217 ultra pac renovate this is the best product fot polyprop (it even says that on the label!!) follow up with an acid rinse fibre and fabric for instance Roll Eyes

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.