Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Window Cleaner/Firefighter!

Posted by D.Salkeld_Ltd (D.Salkeld_Ltd), 4 March 2004
Any one else a retained Firefighter on call while window cleaning?

I joined the Louth Fire Station last year and it certainly relieves the boredom when the alerter goes and next thing I know I'm chasing a fire around a field or helping to rescue someone from a road accident.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 4 March 2004
I hope you pass out a few cards  Wink
Got asked to sweep a chimney once(used to do that before I went WC full time) but 12 of us had made quite a mess and managed to save the bedroom from going up in flames!!
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 4 March 2004
Best bunch of guys you will meet. 30 years ago when I was in at least you learnd to climb properly.
It was the bleeper going off in the middle of the night or when your on the job that caused stress- 6ft up in the air trying to get your trousers on. Keep it up.
Posted by simonb (simonb), 4 March 2004
I used to have a red metro and I had a double 20 rung on it. I was asked if I was a fireman and thought it was a great joke.
Then the punter told me that loads of you guys do it part time-bet you don't turn up in the fire engine!
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 4 March 2004
What next fire engines with pure water for the wfp  Cheesy

Maybe its a good idea, could give them extra wages and stop them going on strike   Grin
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 4 March 2004
Just as a matter of interest... do you part time Wcers/ Firemen carry public liability insurance while your out cleaning windows? Do you declare your earnings to the fire dept/ inland revenue ?
We have a couple of part time firemen Window cleaners around my area and to be honest they are a pain in the butt.
They are only doing the job for beer tokens and charge stupid prices which we can't match as we have to  pay our dues.
I know that when i was a police officer we were not allowed to have a part time job.
Just thinking out aloud.
Dennis
Posted by ronniemc (ronniemc), 4 March 2004
Well said Dennis!!

We have had the same problems here in Scotland.

I know a few window-cleaners in this area that are fed up with Trumpton.

Ronnie Angry
Posted by matt (matt), 4 March 2004
Police can now earn a certain amount and not declare it to the Police service
Dennis & Ronnie

I see where you're comming from but actually I am full time Window Cleaning and part time Firefighting.

My Window Cleaning Company pays full Employers Liability Insurance and I personally am classed as having 2 jobs so the Fire Job is taxed at Basic Rate 22%

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 4 March 2004
>>>Police can now earn a certain amount and not declare it to the Police service<<<
Thats news to me... I am informed by a serving officer that you cannot have any part time employment as you may become beholding to someone.
Dennis
Posted by matt (matt), 4 March 2004
i know a local bobby who works 1 day per week (as and when his shifts allow) he is on PAYE for this PT job
Posted by simonb (simonb), 5 March 2004
Is he 'Plod Cleaning' PC?
Posted by riz (riz), 7 March 2004
Well, down south here where the average house is £212000 for a 3 bed semi my Firefighter wages dont cover my living. i am a officer and take home £1250pm so i window clean, pay tax, insurance all by the book and the prices are normal £1 per window. Grin
Posted by sw_windows (sw_windows), 8 March 2004
well said Riz, some northerners dont reliase  how expensive it is in the south escpially if you cant get a council house and you re a first time buyer.
 nobody ever complains about the bouncers who do bouncing as a second job or bar staff who work at the weekend or teachers doing private tution, or doctors and nurses doing private work.
Or MPs DOING SECOND JOBS LIKE SITTING ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, so why should nt firefighters have a second job . Are you saying that full time window cleaners always declare their cash jobs!
firefighters still do a 42 hour week.
Posted by fez (fez), 8 March 2004
I'm a full time firefighter and an almost fulltime window cleaner. I run it as a proper business, I pay taxes and I'm fully insured (2 million cover). I feel that I'm totally professional in my window cleaning, I only use the best equipment and my work is to the highest standards (unlike some I've seen)

I charge as much as I can ( at least the going rate of £20 per hour domestic / £30 commercial)so I wouldn't undercut anyone. I don't see my other job as a problem. Angry

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.