Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Time wasters

Posted by endresult (endresult), 27 January 2004
How do you deal with customers who book jobs in and change their minds when you turn up at the door? .I have just had my third one this year!.....Usual excuse "shes had to go out and I'm only the baby sitter"
Would it hurt them to at least phone to cancel, it would then give me time to fit another job in that time slot........
Is it just me or does anyone else have the same problemHuhHuhHuh/.............  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Davy
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 27 January 2004
It has happened to me in the past,When it does I leave them an invoice for the amount quoted stating on the invoice that the work has not been done but the charge is for the time allocated in my working day,I have only had one that has refused to pay outright,the rest have eventually paid  (grudgingly)
Why should'nt we be paid if we have put the time aside for these jobs,In the summer I tend to have to refuse jobs because I do not have enough time so TIME IS MONEY

Mark
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 27 January 2004
Grin and bear it,

Don't let the B*STARDS grind you down.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 27 January 2004

Simply put in your Terms and Conditions that a wasted visit will be charged at your minimum price if not notified at least 24hrs before hand.

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 27 January 2004
Has anyone got as copy of T & C's they could send me?
I've never used them but can see the benefits.
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 27 January 2004
I agree with the Terms & Conditions part........but not much good unless you have done a written estimate and booked the job. My Terms state that a cancellation fee is payable if job is not cancelled with a minimum of 24 hours notice. The fee is "£30.00 or 20% of job value, whichever is the higher." Cheesy
Different if job is booked and priced over the phone, then customer does not know your Terms unless you state that to cancel with less than 24 hrs notice will incur a charge. Cool If the job is big/good and they only postpone, then maybe it is better to grin and bear it  Lips Sealed
Posted by woodman (woodman), 27 January 2004
Totally agree with that Chris,

If a big job or old customer then take it on the chin if they postpone but if they cancel with out notice then terms apply you have to make the call if you are going to carry them out.

Over the phone quotes your terms still apply as long as you have informed them of it, doesn't matter what they say you can supply your Terms and Conditions 'on request'.
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 27 January 2004
Once a verbal contract is made, it stands in a court of law!!

Been there done that in a previous business, I took a woman to court, she said to the judge " I did not sign anything ", he told her that she had made a Verbal Contract , and that was good enough for him, she lost, I won plus costs.

It was a lot of agro and took months to get to the conclusion, I would not do it again.

As in my previous post, Take it on the chin and forget it, life is too short for dealing with cretins.
Posted by chris_rushton (Chris_R), 27 January 2004
I telephone every customer the night before the job. Confirm time, items to be cleaned and price. Not had a no show for 12 months- touch wood! Grin
Posted by Les (Les), 27 January 2004
Strange that you mention this subject as I had my 1st timewaster last week. It wasn't a big job but I was really peeved.
The lady was at work when I rang to see why she wasn't home, and she made a feeble excuse. I explained that a Contract, verbal or otherwise, is a legal obligation. Invoiced her for £25 which I got with a letter of apology.
Totally agree with the need to mention it up front and will be adding it to my estimate sheets ASAP.
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 27 January 2004

8.30am saturday morning...

Help! my washing machine has emptied onto the kitchen carpet, can you do anything..

Sure, where are you?, how big is the carpet? etc, etc
It will be £50

Yeah, ok, great.

Finally found them, carpet was minging.

How much?

same as I said on the phone, £50

Well, some guy said he will do it for £30...

Ok, let him do it then,

Good luck.

end of chat, (bloody fuming!)

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 27 January 2004
I used to send out reminder cards with appointment times dates and a small advert selling protector as well as reminding them to remove some furniture ( you know the idea )

It worked very well, I should start doing it again but the busier you get the simple marketing stuff gets left behind Huh

Shaun
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 28 January 2004
Just get one with your life

many other things worry about.

IVAR Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 28 January 2004
Ivar, You are right about having plenty to worry about Wink ESPECIALLY IF THE TIME WASTERS GET YOU 5 DAYS IN A ROW Shocked
Nip it in he bud and let people know as soon as they make a booking Roll Eyes
What a money grabbing bunch us CCs are Tongue

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.