Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

New Business Venture

Posted by dave (dave), 7 March 2004
Hi to everyone,

I've been reading the CC forum and am well impressed with the subjects and discussions you all provide.

My wife started a Domestic Cleaning business last September, which has really taken off and I was looking to get involved in the business also. I work full-time pounding artics up and down the motorway and looking to a side of the business that is more profitable.

I have enquired with the NCCA to send an information pack to enquire about attending a course, luckily the NCCA is only a short distance from where I live.

The question I would like to ask is:-

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF SURVIVAL?

I have experience in sales / marketing
Yes, I am used to very hard work, having run a removal company for a number of years.
I do have a very limited budget

What is the best form of getting work:-
Advertising / leaflet drop or combination of both,
and will this produce enquiries, within a very short time.

What type of machine to start-up:-
I wouild be looking at a portable machine as a start uo and have heard some reports on the Rug Doctor?
This is a fairly basic machine I know, but is it enough to get me started?
Or what is a good start-up machine?

Yes, I am serious about business and would appreciate any advice on starting up.

I can also be contacted by email on:-
                      dave.hardy1@virgin.net

Regards Dave

Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 7 March 2004
Dave,
What area do you live/work

mark
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 7 March 2004
Dave

Before you get replies that would really be of benefit you will need to supply a little bit more information.

You say your business is 'Domestic Cleaning' do you mean the complete house clean?

There has already been a raft of comments recently in a previous thread regarding the Rug Doctor machine which you may find interesting

Regards
Derek

Incidentally I have taken the liberty of removing the duplication of your original post so that members can focus on this one.
Posted by dave (dave), 7 March 2004
Hi Mark and Derek,

In answer to your reply, we offer full domestic cleaning services and offer pre and post move cleaning services and we are from the Leicestershire area.

Thanks Derek for deleting the other Post, you can tell I am an early riser, that is why the duplicate.

Regards Dave
Posted by williamx (williamx), 7 March 2004
If you have a limited budget the best machine to go for is a Prochem Steameasy 400 which you can pickup for about £500 - £600 try ebay.

The way I attract new customers is that I go to the local car boot every Sunday with my Machine & hand out Business cards to anyone who asks for one.  I normally hand out about 80 cards every week. Cool
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 7 March 2004

Dave,

Go to www.cleantalk.co.uk and look at Equipment for sale. Clive at Astra Clean is having a garage sale which includes a Prochem extractor for £250 plus lots of other bits.

Good luck

Nigel
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 7 March 2004
Ideal set up from Clive would be his steam easy and rotavac for about £1150 I think that is a bargain

Shaun
Posted by SMP (SMP), 7 March 2004
Dave,
You've still not advised where you're from and your profile doesn't help.  If you're not far from leicester you're not far from me either.

How have you checked out what competition you've got.  I found that I didn't really have a clue until after I started up (rose coloured glasses and all that).  Once you're trading you become more aware of the competition which then quickly focusses you how you set yourself up to be different and so get your share of the cake.

Perhaps some of the other cleaners would care to add how long it takes before you can expect to be turning a profit.  I went down the franchise route which distorts the figures quite a lot - particularly with respect to start up costs etc.

Cheers
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 7 March 2004
To speed up quick start buy 2nd hand machinery and also spend loads of money on advertising, the best machine in the world can only clean when you give it work!

Shaun
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 7 March 2004
Grin Grin Grin Grin
DAVE just noted you are a full member are you selling Rug Doctor’s yes? Give me £5k

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.