Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

Marketing with Brochures

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 23 September 2003
There is a lot of talk on here about business cards flyers etc but has anyone ever tried a more professional way of putting your business across.
I was going over the Microsoft web site the other month and went into there templates link then found a couple of links to brochures and with matching business cards.
These both together can be fairly expensive so why not make your own, edit you’re wording add some pictures print off what you need to keep cost down.
I have done some and results are not bad.
Let me know what you think if
Cheers Alan

Posted by matt (matt), 23 September 2003
doesnt word have templates for brochures Huh?

i know in MS office pro 2003 it has them, or did i design them and save the template, i cannot remmber now

i have a A4 page that folds into 3 sides (alot like a take away menu), a very nice design (if any1 wants the blank template, just ask Wink)
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 23 September 2003
My word 2000 has no templates of brochures this one I got hold off has all the spaces for pic etc if you want a copy send me your email address
alan
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 24 September 2003
Hi Guys,
           I think it is ms publisher that you use for business cards, Leaflets, Letterheads etc Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 24 September 2003
Dont no steve I can just about turn this computer on but the brochures I got from microsoft  free I tell you (nooooo) are in word 2000 also matching headed paper and business cards.; Nice
Alan
Thats handy getting it free like that because i have spent hundreds over the last few years buying ms software Cry

Steve Lowe
Oh no as well as that from the company you dont expect to get anything from Microsoft.
I use my own stuff I done on the computer but downloaded incase come in handy also thought might do someone here starting off
Alan
This is what i like about this site Alan Cheesy We all seem to be willing to help each other with tips and things like this which is why i think this forum is really going places Grin

Steve Lowe
I agree totally I don’t like it when people come on here, have a look around take bits to be published for there own financial gain though. The people who answer questions do so of their own free time free of charge and not to be exploited does not seem right to me. What do I know I am just a window Cleaner
Alan

Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 24 September 2003
well after all the years at the game we should be earning far more............as you said what do we know
seems like we have seen the back of them for the time being..........good
You dont mince your words do you.
You are right GOOD
Alan
Posted by matt (matt), 24 September 2003
not sure i understood that

you can actually buy microsoft stuff  Wink Wink

Huhm hay mate I did not think microsoft gave anything away at all.
Alan
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 24 September 2003
Have you tried downloads.com you can type in what you are looking for ,you can get what you want  for free, or for a small charge
Alan

they dont

But i have heard rumour that the internet is the place to download all type of stuff Wink

it could just be a rumour though  Wink

Sounds good do they do copys of method and risk assessments any Ideal where I can get a sample one for this with window & office cleaning
alan
i know a H&Se guy

i will ask him for you Smiley
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 24 September 2003
I think i get my software from the same place as u Matt  Tongue

cheers matt
Alan
Posted by jason_edmonds (jason_edmonds), 3 October 2003
Hi all
If your looking for Free or pirated software to download, then you want to look on newsgroups, or mIRC or Emule or join an FTP group.
They have every bit of software you could think of and more !
but its not easy unless you know what your doing, for most people its a hobby.  Roll Eyes

I would  just like to say thanks to everyone for their Tips & Helpfull information i will be starting up my own business with my brother soon.

I've heard a myth about window cleaners getting offerd a bit of hows your father on the side, is this true ?     Wink Wink
Posted by andy (andy), 7 October 2003
THIS IS A REPLY TO THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE!!!

Im really a new guy to the window cleaning industry but i have a few idea which i know will work from working with similar business.

ME NOT OWNING THEM BUT, MAKING PROGRESSIVE DECSIONS FOR THE COMAPNYS.

If you want to put you business across better to the potential customer in a more professional dont go using templates of word and usuing there stuff on there site.

ITS GOOD IF YOU WANT TO MAKE LITTLE MONEY!

Why dont you save a little bit of money and get a national business rather then a local business, ADVERTISE ON THE RADIO! LOCAL RADIO. THIS IS THE BEST WAY OF GETTING CUSTOMERS!

TRUST ME.

Andy
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 7 October 2003
Hi Andy
What does the costs start from to advertise on the local radio? And do you have to make sure it is broadcasted in peak times mornings,evenings etc and is this extra.
Cheers for Help
Alan
Posted by andy (andy), 8 October 2003
hi ya alan!

Yes, there is different prices for peak times and thats all down to you and the radio station.

I thought i would just put the idea across to everyone!

andy!
Another idea!!!

What you could even do is buddy up with another local window cleaner and split the price and the customers when they phone in on your national number.

andy!
sorry! me again. Do you live in the kings cross area. i used to but now i live in kensington.

I COULD GET CUSTOMERS IN KENSINGTON BUT I CANT CLEAN THEM!

Would you like to operate in kensington as well and expan your business!

ANdy!

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 October 2003
Hi
 The only problem i can see with radio advertising with window cleaning  is that you would end up with work all over the place. I would have thought you would be better off door knocking with your business card. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by andy (andy), 10 October 2003
yes, you are right! but it still can be controled,

its just up to people weather they want to run a little piggy bank of customers or have a full-time business.

yes it would need more people working for you, but money and real freedom doesent come cheap! you have to work for it.   What i have noticed is that most people are happy with this industry because its easy because people can control there customers, time, and money.

SOME people have things called comfort barrers. you have to break these to get reall success. COME on guys, do you want to make small money or do you want to e the one to make the window cleaning industry a name so everyone can get more business!!!
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 11 October 2003
Hi Andy,
           Its great to see someone who achieves great things from small beginnings, You just have to look at people like Craig Mawlam from ionic systems. Shocked But most of us on this forum have got a lot more than as you call it a piggy bank of customers. Part of building up a successful domestic window cleaning business is getting all your work close together otherwise you are spending most of your time in the van. Cry

Steve Lowe
Posted by andy (andy), 11 October 2003
hi ya steve! i work in london, as you proberbly know that customers pay a bit for window cleaning out here.

You could divide work areas in to section and employ or train people to be window cleaners and then pay them a percentage of the house clean. (self employed basis)!

what do you think about this?

ANDY!
ON A WHOLE! if you advertised on the radio in your local living area things would get tighter as time goes on.

Because your not expanding the area! your expanding your work load and employee's

And that its self well get tighter!

ANDY!
Hi Andy,
           I think if you could employ people on a self employed basis you would be in a win win situation but i dont think the inland revenue would accept that your guys could be classed as self employed. Cry

Steve Lowe
I have checked in to it! And yes you can.

They would just have to register them selfs with inland revenue and get insurance them self.

And then you can draw up contracts for periods of time to work to geather!

Just like contracting work!
Plus you would need a canvassering team of 50 people to get the customers!

This process has to be quick as at the end alot of business can be lost as you will be teaching the business to the new window cleaners! and they think they can go of and do the same.

andy!
Thats great if whoever gave you that information is right as it is a bit of a grey area. I was told that to be classed as self employed they would need to do about 50% of their own work as well otherwise they would need to be on paye Huh I have always thought that the potential of window cleaning is huge Cheesy

Good Luck if you give it a go!

Steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.