Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

window cleaners and religion

Posted by josephus (josephus), 8 March 2004
hi all

first off let me say that if the moderators wish to remove this thread i wont mind. im not being rude about anybody im just interested. Smiley

i was told when i started out that most window cleaners were jehovahs witnesses. i have met many window cleaners and found about 80 percent to be jws.

my brother worked in a big firm in leeds for a while which employed maybe 30 guys cleaning windows and lots were jws too. they all thought that it was a jehovahs witness thing.

so how many have we here ? or am i wrong ?

regards

josephus
Posted by samm (samm), 8 March 2004
I no 2 windowcleaners that are jws, your theory could be right
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 8 March 2004
There's a few in my city too. I've been told they're encouraged to get into "people " businesses to increase their contacts with prospective converts.

Word is with one company that the mornings are spent working for himself, and whatever he makes in the afternoons goes to his church.

Hmm, maybe my wife's a church Wink

Now with Moderator Hat on . . .
Josephus, the only reason posts would be pulled is if they're inappropriate, i.e., using bad language or disrespectful of other posters and/or the board.
I can't see anything in your post which breaches that - keep posting!
Posted by john_linden (john_linden), 8 March 2004
My bro in law is a jw, and a wc as well.  Its nothing at all to do with giving money to the church.  And its not so they can make new members, thats rubbish.

They do it cos they can work part time for not bad money and the rest of the time they can go out and about and do their jw stuff.

He started doin it bcos he was getn loads a hassle at work for bein jw and they have sumtimes have to have time off fr gatherins, and he wasnt allowed.  very decent bloke i may say and works hard.

dunno about 80% think thats a bit much
john
Posted by freegarda (Reflective Property Services), 8 March 2004
Quote:
Its nothing at all to do with giving money to the church.  And its not so they can make new members, thats rubbish.

They do it cos they can work part time for not bad money and the rest of the time they can go out and about and do their jw stuff.

Im a JW so I can vouch for that. You're bang on the mark John, generally any jws who are wc's keep the two completely seperate. How many are wc's i've no idea, I personally know of about 4 (inc myself) , but thats in west london area Huh

Had a funny few years back when I was collecting (yes, I know!!) saw a customer just getting into the car to go out, so quickly caught up with her. She didnt recognise me at first and said 'oh sorry, I thought you were one of those jws'. Should of seen her face when I said 'Well, as a matter of fact...' Grin
Posted by tacleaning (T. A. Cleaning), 8 March 2004
I'm a JW aswell...

Have just started window cleaning with my brother (who is also a JW) .

The reason we've both started window cleaning is that we were fed up working in an office, not so that we can convert more people etc... thats totally false.

I know of about 8 other window cleaners who are JW's.
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 8 March 2004
i am a window cleaning pagan, now i feel completly different
Posted by p_and_j_cleaning (p_and_j_cleaning), 8 March 2004
I am a window cleaning cathlic so there you go. We all have our thoughts about many subjects.
We all clean windows because its the best job in the world.
          Pete
Posted by Neil (wylie), 8 March 2004
I met a WC the other day who it turned out was a JW I also know two others.
They are all descent blokes who are willing to help if you ask them.
The guy I met last week told me that the reason so many JWs get into window cleaning is its the perfect job to give the freedom of time needed to do any ministry work.
Its the very same reason I got into this game so that I could spend more time with my family.
I am not a religious man but I would say that if all window cleaners were as polite and friendly as the three JWs that I know are then this industry would have a much better image than it is sometimes given!

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 8 March 2004
I've come close to meeting my maker whilst Window Cleaning a few times.....  when ladders have kicked out or slipped.
Denzle
Posted by matt (matt), 8 March 2004
In My area, we have 30 odd jehovahs witnesses WC's

they have the 3 towns near me sawn up, they have all the comercail and ALOT of the domestic

The 2 i know and speak to are very helpfull, and ive asked them why so many jehovahs witnesses are WC's

they both said "its so we can have spare time to do our door knocking etc etc"

fair play to them i say, they dont harm me, i dont harm them

worked with 1 last tuesday, infact brought 600 quid of work off him, very nice bloke

Posted by D.Salkeld_Ltd (D.Salkeld_Ltd), 8 March 2004
Hi All

You know I set the thred about Window cleners who are Retained Firemen.

Guess what...............

No I'm not a JW

But theres a young man who's a JW a Window Cleaner and a Retained Fire man.  In fact I think he told me about this forum

SO Phill if your out there post one back

David
(Trig!)
Posted by DP (DP), 8 March 2004
Im not a JW, Pagon, Catholic or Fireman.

Come to think perhaps thats why Im not a window cleaner either !!!!

Oopps wrong thread sorry.   Huh
Posted by john_linden (john_linden), 10 March 2004
I met a WC the other day who it turned out was a JW I also know two others.
They are all descent blokes who are willing to help if you ask them.
The guy I met last week told me that the reason so many JWs get into window cleaning is its the perfect job to give the freedom of time needed to do any ministry work.
Its the very same reason I got into this game so that I could spend more time with my family.
I am not a religious man but I would say that if all window cleaners were as polite and friendly as the three JWs that I know are then this industry would have a much better image than it is sometimes given!

I agree with that wylie, my sis's jw mates have given me loads of help and they didnt even know me.  I even got given some work that someone didnt need.  I never used to bother about jws much, but now I wont hear a bad word against em.  No matter what you believe, they work hard and thr nice people. and they look out for each othr no doubt about that.

if one of em ever offers you any work take it.  The work i got is absulutly great, they were all trained to come out with cuppas.

john
Posted by David_35 (David_35), 23 March 2004
Well Guess what i,m a JW too as well as a window cleaner and i know of another 5 at least in my area.
The job is flexible and convenient for getting to our meetings and time for the ministry. ;javascript:grin()D
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 23 March 2004
Hi there David_35, it's David "over 21" Wink  here.

Looks like you've been going through some of the posts already, I don't know if you'll get through them all - I tried to, but I don't think I'll get to read every single one for a while  yet.

Now that you're here, I'm sure you'll discover loads that you didn't know before - excellent things, Bulletin Boards, don't you think?

Anyway, tell us a bit more about yourself, whereabouts are you, how long at the window cleaning, what type of work do you take on, etc, etc. You can fill in your profile and signature - click on profile, naturally enough, at the top of the page.

The more you put in, the more you'll get back, as they say. Oh, and welcome to CleanItUp, by the way.

All the best - Davie
Posted by Duke (Duke), 25 March 2004
oddly enough, I'd heard that too...I don't personally know any witnesses...let alone ones who clean ! I have no religion or belief as such, but if I did, I'd most likely be a Buddist. Sometimes...the best thing to believe in is yourself.... Kiss
Posted by MJCleaning (MJCleaning), 25 March 2004
Interesting topic . Window Cleaning is a brilliant job for earning as much as you can , for as little time as you want , honestly!!. That, why it suits most of us Jehovah's Witnesses. It's nice to read all of the positive comments you have made.
Posted by Andrew (Andrew), 9 April 2004
Jehovah's Witness window cleaners

You wrote Josephus: my brother worked in a big firm in leeds for a while which employed maybe 30 guys cleaning windows and lots were jws too. they all thought that it was a jehovahs witness thing. I wonder if i was your brothers employer?  My window cleaning business name is Rung Above the Rest

As a life long Jehovah's Witness, and Presiding Minister in one of the Leeds congregations of JW's i was interested to read this thread after returning to the Clean It Up forum after an abscence of some time.

Previosly i was the National Education and Training  Officer for the Federation of Window Cleaners (NFMW&GC) Based on the knowledge available to me then, I calculated, in 2002, that  there were between 4,500 to 6000 Witness window cleaners in the UK.  In comparison it is generally agreed that, in the UK, there are between 60, 000 to 80, 000 window cleaners.

Andrew from Edu-Clean UK
Posted by premier_yorkshire (premier window cleaners), 9 April 2004
im one of those above in andrews message

jonathan liddle

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.