Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

A moral dilemma

Posted by simonb (simonb), 21 March 2004
You get to the petrol station at the end of the day. The windows are gleaming. The (National Contractor who is doing you out of business) window cleaner has been.

He has left some gear and he will never remember where he left it and someone else will nick it or dump it.

What do you do?
Posted by replacement (Justin R), 21 March 2004
Well ill pick it up and put it in my car.

Then if i know whoms it was ill ring them and tell them i have got it in a safe place for them to pick up. If i did not know them or could not contact them  ill most prob. keep it.

But this has not happend to me yet so things might be totally different on the day.

Ill hope to think if this happened to me there be someone like me there to return it and look after it.

Ta

Justin
Posted by Neil (wylie), 21 March 2004
Is the gear any good Huh?

How much do you want for it  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 21 March 2004
i found a bucket with 3 sqeegees and aplicators in the road last years. i just left a card up in the post office 3 doors down saying window cleaning gear found. i left the card up for a month no one replied
Posted by Willy (Willy), 22 March 2004
Simon, I'd like to think I am a desent and honest human being who is kind to animals, but with the phrase  "National Contractor who is doing you out of work"   I have no dilemma, moral or otherwise. he gets your work you get his gear, sounds like justice to me!
A local window cleaner? Then I would go to great lengths to return it, perhaps asking at the petrol station first if they have his name and phone no. (Not telling them why or one of them will have it and blame you)

PS. If Wylie doesn't offer you a fair price give me a shout!
Posted by riz (riz), 22 March 2004
GrinIs it a reach and wash system??!!!i'll have it!!!

Grin
Posted by simonb (simonb), 22 March 2004
So not much of a dilemma for you guys!
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 22 March 2004
I think you know what the right thing to do is!
Posted by Slatercleaners (Slatercleaners), 23 March 2004
I'd leave a card at the station and try giving them a call.

The likelihood is that they'll have needed kit immediately and won't be bothered.

But, you should do what you can to get it back to them.

Then they might not try and do you out of work in future and your conscience is clear.
Gary
Posted by simonb (simonb), 23 March 2004
Actually I left the gear with the manager and told him it belonged to his WC.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 23 March 2004
on 03/23/04 at 16:49:20, simonb wrote:
Actually I left the gear with the manager and told him it belonged to his WC.

Well done done SimonB, you win the grand prize - your karma is intact.
Posted by D.Salkeld_Ltd (D.Salkeld_Ltd), 23 March 2004
Was it Your geer Karl

Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 28 March 2004
No it wasn't.
But I wouldn't like it to happen to me. I have had a lot of toolboxes stolen off me before, including tools I've made myself. I always reward for return or information of return.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.