Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

HELP!!! CLIMBING LADDERS

Posted by Kimm (Kimm), 19 November 2003
Can anyone give any advice? I went out window cleaning with my ex husband (yes I know probably not a good idea) and we had a bit of a disagreement on the angle of the ladder. He seems to think that the position he has the ladder is safe, I feel like I'm gonna fall off backwards on it, so I want it at more of an angle, he says if I have it at more of an angle its more likely to slip away from under me. Now I don't like goin up the ladder but i'm determined to get used to it as my brother has just recently moved to New Zealand and has left his window cleaning round just waiting to be cleaned. So guys, any suggestions?
Posted by Pure_2o (Pure_2o), 19 November 2003
Suggestions :-

1) Get married again...

2) Put a waterfed pole system on the wedding gift list !

Grin
on 11/19/03 at 14:45:41, Pure_2o wrote:
Suggestions :-

1) Get married again...

2) Put a waterfed pole system on the wedding gift list !

Grin

1. Done that, been there, got the T-shirt

2. Waterfed pole on residential - not all houses have outside tap (as your small system requires on your website), trying to get the system over garage roofs when the customer isnt in and how can you see if you have done a proper job on the top windows other than carry round a pair of binoculars?  Huh Kiss Grin
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 November 2003
Hi Kimm,
            The NFMW&GC do a safety video . Their telephone number is 0161-432-8754.

Steve
on 11/19/03 at 15:42:20, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Kimm,
            The NFMW&GC do a safety video . Their telephone number is 0161-432-8754.

Steve

Thank You Steve, shall give them a call  Smiley
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 November 2003
Hi Kimm,
            I think the video is quite expensive if you are not a member but its better than having an accident.  Wink

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 19 November 2003
Why not let the ex do the top and you do downstairs Cool
Posted by fez (fez), 19 November 2003
To be on the safe side, you SHOULD feel like you're going to fall backwards. You need the heel (base) of the ladder about one third (or less) of the working height away from the building. That is if the ladder is about 20 ft high, the heel should be about 6 - 7ft away from the building at the bottom. Any more than this without someone footing the ladder for you and there's a danger of the ladder slipping away.

Remember - Safety first! Wink

Oh, and you'll get used to it in no time at all! Grin
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 19 November 2003
i was trained that the ladder heel should be a quarter of the working height away from the building and working over 2m should be footed any higher secured with lines from the strings of the ladder staked into the ground but wherever we use ladders is always this distance working in small confined spaces we use unger poles upto 32 feet any higher water fed upto 80
Posted by Kimm (Kimm), 20 November 2003
Thanx for all your help guys, I'm back out there again today so we shall see what happens  Wink
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 20 November 2003
Kimm,

A simple way to determine the right angle is this:

'Climbing angle is determined by placing your feet at the base of the ladder then extend your fingertips so they just touch the ladder.'

Or basically, one foot out for every 4 feet up.

Posted by Rick (Rick), 20 November 2003
all these cliches people are posting here are just extreme saftey measures, that are useless in real life. and "working over 2m should be footed any higher secured with lines from the strings of the ladder staked into the ground", well thats just rediculous......

if i go up to a window, then if the ladder was up 20 feet i'd say i usually have it about 10 foot from the wall. i do that every day  of my life and i haven't had a ladder go back on me yet and i have spikes. it is true that you roughly need to put your weight above a ladder. but that said, its unlikely that a ladder would slip even if you put it up at 45 degrees. infact, i used to work with a lad who pitched his ladder up at even more than that!  
Posted by Rick (Rick), 20 November 2003
just thought......

if you don't believe me. then go in a drive way between two houses. then pitch your ladder up at 45 degrees, and so that the ladder is up against one house, and not quite touching the other house. then climb up to the top of the ladder and jump up and down on the top rung, and see if the ladder slips. if it did, which it wouldn't, then the ladder will be stopped from slipping back by the other house wall
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 20 November 2003
well its not really ridiculous only if you have no insurance,no federation membership and you dont have any accidents residentially or commercially then your not breaking any health and saftey laws which state that working off ladders must be footed over 2m a chap fell 4 floors while window cleaning the savoy hotel not only did he live and get a hefty fine for breaking these health and saftey laws the hotel were also fined £12,000 because they did not make sue the cleaner was adhering to this.
Posted by elfords (elfords), 20 November 2003
I think you will find that the correct regulations state that above two and up to six metres a suitable method of keeping the ladder stable should be employed of which one could be footing the ladder but you are also able to to use such things as ladder mats, ladder stoppers, articulating rubber feet etc. Then from six to ten metres the ladder should be fixed to a suitable tie point such as a properly fitted and inspected eye bolt, above this then your mad and beyond the help of any of these regulations and liable to death at worst or stained pants at least!  Wink
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 20 November 2003
thankyou
anything over 10 feet we use poles anyhow upto 80ft no ladders at all
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 24 November 2003
If you're really worried about them slipping away, you can get a rubber mat thing with little teeth on either side.

Great for mossy driveways etc.  

Also I use a ladder leveller to prevent sliding sideways, they are an absolute must (~£30 from scrimcity)

Silly
Posted by kilimanjaro (kilimanjaro), 29 November 2003
i think a lot depends on the surface that you are putting your ladders on. the feet of my ladders are flat and i have these level with the floor or steeper (hope that makes sense) if its wet or slippery for any reason i have them steeper than usual, but on grass or soft surfaces the angle doesn't matter so much as the feet can dig in a bit.

Mark Winterford
Kilimanjaro Cleaning
Posted by Kimm (Kimm), 30 November 2003
Grin Thanks Guys for all your help!! Still working on that shaking feeling up the ladder but its goin ok, they had me climbing up the ladder onto a porch whilst holding the A ladder then putting the A ladder on the porch to be able to reach up to get the higher windows! I think they are gradually trying to break my fear or just enjoy having a laugh either one is good, (put a smile on someone's face whilst earning money at the same time).

Looked at Skrim city, they have some intresting stuff to foot ladder etc, I think its just my confidence that I need to develop tho.

Looking to take over my brother's round in January, got a lot better a how pricing works now and I was running the paperwork side of my husbands window cleaning round for 8 years so that side is easy.

Can't believe the muscles I've already developed in my arms!!!!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.