Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Carpet Fitting Techniques For Cleaners.

Posted by L.Doubtfire (L.Doubtfire), 1 March 2004
What is the groups opinion on carpet fitting  techniques? Which is the most beneficial
in the long run.Standard  gripper rods,or good old fashioned `ring and pin.Are there
any firms who do `ringing and pinning` these days? and I don`t mean those `doddle` rings.
While I`m online is this type of fitting still taught by anyone anywhere at all.?Am I just
old fashioned or is it a dying art thats completly died? comments and advice much appreciated

Lewis Doubtfire,Liversedge Carpet Cleaners.
What is the groups opinion on carpet fitting  techniques? Which is the most beneficial
in the long run.Standard  gripper rods,or good old fashioned `ring and pin.Are there
any firms who do `ringing and pinning` these days? and I don`t mean those `doddle` rings.
While I`m online is this type of fitting still taught by anyone anywhere at all.?Am I just
old fashioned or is it a dying art thats completly died? comments and advice much appreciated

Lewis Doubtfire,Liversedge Carpet Cleaners.

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 1 March 2004
Hi Lewis

Ring & pin  Huh Huh Huh as you will gather I know nothing about carpet fitting other than what I was taught at cc courses, but I have found out twice to my cost example griper rods glued to Marley flooring I now ask the customer a lot of questions on the sub flooring and hopefully they know.

I have a few friends and one family member who are carpet fitters, when I asked them have you a carpet stretcher that I could borrow they gave me a knee kicker my reply to them HELLO. But having said that I’m not qualified in fitting carpets but will be checking with what you say with a few carpet shops, the major problem in this area and others is the word FREE in and out a.s.a.p

Len

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 1 March 2004
Having tried using a knee kicker, ONCE, made friends with a carpet fitter! Much easier on the knees, and a better job for the customer. only had one problem where the gripper rods were loose, my new found friend sorted it out for the customer, Same goes for seeming carpets, it may be straight forward if you have an iron etc, but not for me. Each to his own, even if it means walking away from a job.
Posted by Glynn (Glynn), 1 March 2004
ring and loop , I hope its gone, forever
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 March 2004
Dave,

A very sensible attitude  Wink

If you do anything extra for a customer which is not to a professional standard, it reflects upon your overall professionalism.

John.
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 1 March 2004
Definetly gripper rods, I still do a fair amount of fitting. Those ring and pin fitted carpets were/are a pain when it comes to cleaning as they tend to lift/curl at the edges if the carpet even slightly tightens up and the only way to flatten them is to tack down. A correctly fitted carpet on gripper rod should be dimentially stable when cleaned as the gripper will hold any otherwise movement. Our problem as cleaners comes when the carpets are incorrectly fitted as is so often the case, and that can mean carpets cut net, instead of slightly over lengh and the excess (1/4 inch) being compressed into the slight gap between gripper and skirting board - or the gripper rods not being  properly secured to the floor and not forgetting those dodgy seams.
Dave.

Posted by SMP (SMP), 1 March 2004
Dave,
Isn't it supposed to be the case that a carpet should be stretched when fitted ?  I believe that there is a standard for fitting carpets that requires a power stretcher to be used?  I don't think that applies in this country but perhaps in the states.  If a carpet is not stretched isn't it likely to relax and gain a few lumps and bumps with use and cleaning.  Of course if the grippers aren't nailed down properly stretching will just make it more likely to rip the grippers up later.

Steve
Steve,

'Stretch' is an oft missused term when applied to carpets.

Most carpets should be tensioned against gripper rods for the angle of the pins to properly grip the carpet backing.

John.
on 03/01/04 at 23:16:34, Dave_Lee wrote:
Our problem as cleaners comes when the carpets are incorrectly fitted as is so often the case, and that can mean carpets cut net, instead of slightly over lengh and the excess (1/4 inch) being compressed into the slight gap between gripper and skirting board - or the gripper rods not being  properly secured to the floor and not forgetting those dodgy seams.
Dave.

Dave, how right you are!

Len mentioned the word "free", and here we have the root cause of most bad fitting - retailer subs to cheapest fitters, fitters work down to price.

Most of the problems I encounter are caused by grippers nailed into concret screed, which cannot hold the nail, or rods fitted with a hot glue gun, wher the glue cools and hardens almost before it hits the floor.

John.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 2 March 2004
Hi Guys

We have some fitters in Leicester who use an aerosol spray mount glue to fix grippers...or even don't fit grippers at all and simply spray mount the carpet to the underlay....and I am not talking Durafit/System 10 here.

Cheers
Derek
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 2 March 2004
Hi All

How many of you great cc carries a knee kicker in your vans for the odd emergency not that you have any!!  Then again how many carpet fitters have a carpet stretcher, or know what you are talking about (none what I know and they are so call professionals)?

If any one needs this type of equipment just give me a call it’s for hire cost to buy in the region of £500.

Len

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 2 March 2004
A reliable carpet fitter can sufficiently tension most domesticaly installed carpet using a knee kicker. In the case of a larger span, then a power stretcher may be required. Tufted carpets generally do not stretch, apart from a small amount diagonally. Indeed some when new are that stiff, they crack when bent and fitting this type onto stairs is not to be reccomended. Carpets soften up with time and use, and this can cause rippling, and over aggressive cleaning particularly at high temp can cause delamination.
Dave
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 2 March 2004
Daves not a fitter he's a carpet butcher Grin

Shaun
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 2 March 2004

Dave

At least you know what you are talking about but do the rest of the carpet fitters know this? The word reliable is misnomer it doses, not mean that one is a professional. The major problem is bad preparation i.e. gripper which in carpet fitters point of view which is the cheapest glue/nail or drill and plug, the customer as I said earlier feels the are getting it for free but are they getting what they paid for probably not in some cases.

But I stand to be corrected

Shaun there can be only one butcher me I worked at Smithfield many years ago but I still get cheap meat.

Len

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 2 March 2004
Hey Len,

Can you please tell the lads what you haven't done Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 2 March 2004
Len do you brush the maggots off first? from one rug sucker to another Good Night, oh and John Flynn 1 last look on the hun and off to bed for you, work tomorrow  Grin

Shaun
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 3 March 2004
Grin
John

Never worked for local or central government, a dustman, road sweeper, bus driver, or a shop person yet but give me time

You may think I’m taking the pee I did work at Smithfield’s as a cutter.

Shaun what’s wrong with maggots they are full of protein.

Len

Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 3 March 2004
what is ring and loop
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 3 March 2004
Ivar i'd prefer Len to answer that, but I do have an idea!

Shaun
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 3 March 2004
Ivar

It’s not Ring & Loop It’s ring & P*** (cant find the spelling)

Thanks Shaun

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.