Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

The Fed Report

Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 11 April 2004
Having just read the financial and management commitee report of the Fed, I have one or two observations which I would welcome your comments on:

Management Report
There are 2124 Fed Members.  Less than 1/4 of all window cleaners.

Steve Lowe is being appointed to the Executive Committee.  As a former moderator of this site, I'm sure that Steve will bring forward concerns that have previously been mentioned by members here and elsewhere.  We wish Steve well in this appointment, and hope he will robustly stand up for members interests.

Though the report mentions that the new work at height directive will be dealt with in window talk and by means of newsletters, I have yet to see it discussed there in any detail.  As the federation are claiming to responsible for preventing a total ladder ban, it will be interesting to see exactly what the Fed have managed to negotiate with regard to the new regulations.

Financial Report

The Federation had income of £171,205 for the year ended 2003.  A decrease of 13.5% on last year.

The Federations Overheads increased by 9% on last year.  There is no explanation given as to why this is.  (Postage costs, for example, have almost doubled to £12,164)

Balance Sheet:
I notice there is a bank account balance of £209,799 which has changed little from last year [£229,944]  Any company's financial director would ask if this is a wise use of funds.  Interest from this was £3,094.  Could this cash have been used to serve members interests?  Is there a large project being planned that funds are being accumulated for?

Also there are substantial funds [£117,171]tied up in investments.  If this were an investment club, this might be expected, but only £4,477 of income was generated from these.  Again, is a large project in the pipeline?  Why are these funds not being used for members interests?

what do other members think about these issues?

-Philip
Posted by BeeClean (BeeClean), 11 April 2004
Very interesting about steve lowe. rumour has it that the fed encouraged him to staqrt the new forum because mike boxall wouldnt remove topics like this. £10 says youll get contacted by brian dolby shortly with a few choice words. the fed dont like being questioned about the money!! and steve isnt here to edit it!!

interesting topic Shocked Shocked Shocked

come on mike whats the story Huh Huh Huh
Posted by Neil (wylie), 11 April 2004
A very interesting and informative post Phillip.
I am not a member and at present have no intention of becoming one,
I have a few concerns about the fed which when raised on here were never addressed so for the time being I am wary about joining.
I also wonder why the Fed needs to accumulate such a huge sum of money with no obvious intention in mind.
But I don’t suppose it is any of my business if I am not a member. Having said that are members aware of the reason?
If I am to consider putting my hard earned into something I like to know what will happen to it and if it is not being actively used I would want to know of any future intentions.
I am not decrying the Fed; I am sure they do a lot of good and there reasons for accumulating the funds will be honourable, but if someone on this or other boards raises a concern and the Fed does not answer (officially) then I wonder if they only want me for my cash and don’t what anyone to rock there boat,
At the time of writing this there are 2451 members on this forum many of whom are window cleaners and potential “customers” of the Fed. Is there an official Fed rep on this forum? Why does the Fed not officially answer questions about it when they are put on this board?
We are all very busy but we still find time to ask for and offer help on here, is there no one at the Fed who can spare the time to answer a few questions when put?

Posted by replacement (Justin R), 11 April 2004
I am thinking about joining and if i was honest the comments dont bother me. I mean £50 for a year is not alot of money, and if they dont do nothing for me in the 1st year ill not renew for the 2nd year simple as that really.

As for the investments and monies so what.

Justin
Posted by choice.clean (choice.clean), 11 April 2004
i am a member and have been for quite a few years having never contacted them about much over those years i asked for information on wfp's a couple of years ago befor buying one. I can tell you that there is more information on this site than the fed has or has ever published. i will remain a member for marketing purposes but i must say that they are way behind the times when it comes to where the window cleaning industry is going.
Posted by matt (matt), 11 April 2004
on 04/11/04 at 11:33:12, BeeClean wrote:
Very interesting about steve lowe. rumour has it that the fed encouraged him to staqrt the new forum because mike boxall wouldnt remove topics like this. £10 says youll get contacted by brian dolby shortly with a few choice words. the fed dont like being questioned about the money!! and steve isnt here to edit it!!

interesting topic Shocked Shocked Shocked

come on mike whats the story Huh Huh Huh

im very against censorship on the net, afterall the net was set-up for freeodm of speach, and when a message board becomes censored, it then becomes nothing more than a joke, afterall i dont live in china, so why should i eat rice ?? ??
Posted by poleman (PoleMan), 11 April 2004
Hi choice-clean,

i would disagree on the point about the Fed being way behind the times when it comes to where the window cleaning industry is going.

It has done more for window cleaners Industry than any other organisation in the UK. because of the new European Regulations. if you read some of the other post on this forum, ladders for the use of window cleaning in holland are to be baned, The Fed is now working behalf of us window cleaners to make sure that we stay in business because of the new working at hights directive.

Philip

Regarding The Fed Overheads increased by 9% i did hear some thing that the fed was sued. but no commit  Lips Sealed i dont wont to get sued my self.

andy

Posted by shinnyshinner (Alan  shinnyshinner), 12 April 2004
Posted by: matt Posted on: Apr 11th, 2004, 11:42pm
on Apr 11th, 2004, 11:33am, BeeClean wrote:Very interesting about steve lowe. rumour has it that the fed encouraged him to staqrt the new forum because mike boxall wouldnt remove topics like this. £10 says youll get contacted by brian dolby shortly with a few choice words. the fed dont like being questioned about the money!! and steve isnt here to edit it!!

interesting topic    

come on mike whats the story    

im very against censorship on the net, afterall the net was set-up for freeodm of speach, and when a message board becomes censored, it then becomes nothing more than a joke, afterall i dont live in china, so why should i eat rice ?? ??  

Hi matt
I'd take what  has been put here with a peice of salt mate the wind up was started when steve 1st started up his site.

Hi poleman
I know I have not been on in a while but had to pop in on this one as very interesting wasn’t it by a pole manufacture?
Heard rumours something about it myself.
As well with people making daft comments about ex members deleting posts to do with the fed, and slagging off the fed see the old forum, still has not changed, it’s a shame.
Alan

Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 12 April 2004
Quote:
Regarding The Fed Overheads increased by 9% i did hear some thing that the fed was sued. but no commit   i dont wont to get sued my self.

Under generally accepted accounting principles this would need to be disclosed under its own heading, and also a note to the accounts.  As there is no reference, I think either

1.this has not happened and is only a rumour

2.It has happened but no settlement has been reached (but in this case, usually a potential liability would be included in the balance sheet, there is none)

3.It has happened but any settlement was met by an insurance policy.

-Philip
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 12 April 2004
I think the postage & printing increases may be due to mailings for the insurance problems that Darwin CLayton Have had. Bit of a shame for all those window cleaners who don't insure through the Fed. They are paying for all this mis-management.

I guess it's just like the taxman. Even if we never claim a benefit in our lives we all have to pay our share. Also the chancellor used to have a fuel tax multiplier. So fuel used to go up every year regardless. This is a bit like the fed subs. They go up by a set percentage every year.

I think we could save money in many ways. For a start, why are they paying rentHuh Surely they could BUY a premises.

Perhaps they could start using Email to send out mailings to members who have an email address. This would save a packet and be much quicker.

All that said, however, I will remain a member of the Fed due to advertising and they are there for advice when needed.

Phil, maybe you should voice your concerns at the AGM. Get your name on the agenda  Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.