Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

How to JUSTIFY increasing your prices!

Posted by chris_rushton (Chris_R), 12 March 2004
Having just read through the very long thread on under pricing it occurred to me that no one is offering advice on the best way to increase your prices, without losing too many customers!
I have managed to do just that over the last four years, so I thought I might share the info with you all.
The hardest bit is telling a previous customer that your prices have gone up (a lot !) and then listening to the silence down the phone line, you have to JUSTIFY your price rise.
The reasons that I have used are;
1. New cleaning equipment -(CFR PRO 400 ,a couple of years ago!)  better results and drying times.
2. New chemicals (micro -splitters ? )- better results, environmentally friendly, and dry faster.
3 service/results/drying time than before.
So if you do something that improves the service to your customers- CHARGE THEM FOR IT!

Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 12 March 2004
I have just increased my prices a lot due to falling behind.

I was also wondering what to tell my customers.

I would first tell them that I had not increased my prices for the last 3 years which is true! Shocked

And I would also tell them that that the price of cleaning products insurance etc has gone up considerably, which is also true.

John Milnes
Posted by jmj (jmj), 12 March 2004
I to have increased my prices this year. The old customers understand that costs go up so its fairly straight forward. I think the most effective way is to explain what you've done to improve your service since your last visit.Mainly investment ie equipment,training and also remind them how good a job you did before.
joe
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 12 March 2004
If all your customes just say is that all after you give price

your not charging enough.

IVAR Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 13 March 2004
Hi

I would refer you to a previous post from 'our Ken' where he says he increases his prices annually ..carpets one year upholstery the next.

It is wise to have a slight increase each year, to keep pace with inflation, this will be relatively unnoticeable rather than a large price hyke every few years

Cheers
Derek
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 13 March 2004
Keep up with inflation 1.5% !!!

Hike up your prices 10% and lets CAUSE Phony Blair some INFLATION. Grin Grin Grin
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 13 March 2004
Was'nt Ken saying a couple of weeks a go he'd raised his prices by 25% Shocked

Most of my existing customers don't know I've put up my prices until it s too late, I've finished the cleaning and they ask " How much do I owe you" Cheesy

I think most customers will accept a 10% raise without questioning it.

Mike
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 13 March 2004
Chris. I like the logical explanation Grin.......re- doing my pricelist as i speak Wink
New efficient machinery and chemicals is my reason for increases............people ask " whats your excuse for increase ..........dont need an excuse only a GOOD reason Cool
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 13 March 2004
I think most repeat clients would accept a 10% increase from the year before, but if they havent called you for 3 years - its 30%. If you hike your charges substantialy, the best and most acceptable way of justifying it is by them visually being able to see for themselves the extra investment you have put in - new equipment, extra drying procedures etc.
Dave.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 13 March 2004
Hi Guys

Point taken...I should have said.."if ONLY to keep pace with inflation"

John....'Phoney Blair' needs inflation of a different kind!

Still, we have an opportunity to vote him out soon... But I have a sneaky feeling that 'Teflon Tony' will still be there for another term... big grin and all

Cheers
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.