Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Carpet dry clean?

Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 9 November 2003
Hi Guys 'n Gals

Is there or do you get much call for dry cleaning of carpets.

This is where you sprinkle down the powder agitate with a brush and then vac up after dwell time

any feedback would be great

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 9 November 2003
Dry cleaning carpets is where most of my business comes from my hwe machine has not been out of the van for 3 weeks now.Its a unique service that i offer i tend to get customers who have had bad experiences with wet cleaning and you can charge that little bit extra Grin

check these sites out http://www.envirodri.com/ or http://www.hostvonschrader.co.uk/home.html
Posted by carpetmonsters (carpetmonsters), 10 November 2003
hi
i use a op machine looks as good as hwe dry in 15 min custies love it
steve
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 10 November 2003
I've told you B4 Steve, don't eat cheese B4 you go to bed, you'll never sleep Wink
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 11 November 2003
What's an op machine?
rgds tony
Posted by Jim_Lynch (Jim_Lynch), 11 November 2003
Tony, it's an oscillating pad machine.
More info here...

http://ccsop.com/

jim
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 12 November 2003
Hi guys

Still doing research into this area of cleaning. Thanks for those links, got some info.

Is Dry cleaning for maintainance only or can it do deep cleaning if the compound is pushed deep into the pile and left to dwell for 15-20 mins?

also is there still a need for testing the fibres?

Please keep the help coming.

Regards

Martin Cool

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 12 November 2003
Martin,

I would recommend HWE as your main tool, however "dry cleaning" systems have their place but are not ideal for the majority of situations.

Mark

Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 12 November 2003
Used dry compound some years ago but never used it since I bought Dry Fusion machine. Compound is the only thing on seagrass carpeting however but results never great.
Fintan
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 13 November 2003
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I like having all the tools

OP cleaning and truck mount HWE

That way I dont advertise a method

they call I can do it either way

Cheers

IVAR
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 13 November 2003
on 11/12/03 at 17:18:33, martin_606 wrote:
Hi guys

Still doing research into this area of cleaning. Thanks for those links, got some info.

Is Dry cleaning for maintainance only or can it do deep cleaning if the compound is pushed deep into the pile and left to dwell for 15-20 mins?

also is there still a need for testing the fibres?

Please keep the help coming.

Regards

Martin Cool

Regards

Martin Cool

HOST SPONGES are a non abrasive organic cleaner containing a balanced mix of water, detergents, wetting agents and a safe to use solvent. They act just like a sponge, releasing the cleaning agents where the soil is. The deep down brushing action allows the cleaner to break up, dissolve, trap and then remove spots, spills and greasy oily dirt.

Finally the powerful vacuum removes the HOST SPONGES with their trapped soil. HOST deep cleans so that spots are removed and don't wick back. The deep cleaning HOST method ensures that harmful biological agents can be removed. In the USA studies show that one cleaning with HOST reduces Dust Mites by 78%, Cat Allergen by 85%, Dust Mite Allergens by 75/89% and Mould Spores by 85/97%

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 13 November 2003
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 13 November 2003
Nigel,

Could not have put it better myself !!!

John.

PS.

Steve I think I am correct in saying that both Nigel and myself use 'granual' cleaning where appropiate
Posted by A_to_Z_Clean (A_to_Z_Clean), 13 November 2003
Hi martin Grin Grin

On the moment i'm playing with Enviro micro sponges.I must say the doo the job, only problem is you will need a machine from them to have 100%_( they cost 1200£ Tongue Tongue) but i have 75% succes using sebo bc36 and micro sponges.
Give them a call , they realy nice people number is:08707 337733 and talk to Jill.
The pack of 12kg micro sponges will cost 47£ plus vat.

Hope this helps Grin Grin
Adam
AtoZ Clean
Posted by Mr._One_Step (Steve Carpenter), 13 November 2003
An ex-Host trainer told me once that the product could clean heavy soiling in the same environment as hot water extraction. I said what’s it like on soiling in nightclubs. He said it works but somewhat slower and then mentioned that it could be also be used for flood damage!

The product is poured into the flooded room and allowed to absorb the moisture. I said that Id not seen a truck mounted dry cleaning systems before, his reply was what do you mean? I said you’d need a truck and a shovel to get rid of it all, on that sought of scale.

I like dedication to products but that’s just daft!

The product does have its place though and I mainly use dry compound cleaners for planned maintenance programmes or improving the appearance of moisture sensitive carpets or oriental rugs.

Regards

Steve

Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 13 November 2003
on 11/13/03 at 19:43:45, A_to_Z_Clean wrote:
Hi martin Grin Grin

On the moment i'm playing with Enviro micro sponges.I must say the doo the job, only problem is you will need a machine from them to have 100%_( they cost 1200£ Tongue Tongue) but i have 75% succes using sebo bc36 and micro sponges.
Give them a call , they realy nice people number is:08707 337733 and talk to Jill.

Adam
AtoZ Clean

Try this for a starter http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2572450199&category=1209

Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 13 November 2003
Yeah, cannot see the logic there Steve, as the sponges are already soaked in solvent how can they absorb any more moisture.
Fintan
Posted by A_to_Z_Clean (A_to_Z_Clean), 14 November 2003
HI Grin
"....micro sponges have extremely low moisture contents eliminates risk of color loss, damp mildew,water marks...."

This is information I have from Envir, i did try on pice of carpet wher i split coffe and they did suck coffe realy fast Grin Grin

Thanks for tip  Grin Grin
Adam
AtoZ Clean
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 14 November 2003
on 11/13/03 at 23:24:35, Fintan_Coll wrote:
Yeah, cannot see the logic there Steve, as the sponges are already soaked in solvent how can they absorb any more moisture.
Fintan

Give them a try it won't cost you anything ring envirodri for a sample then judge for yourself

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 14 November 2003
About 10 years ago, I was fortunate enough to be invited by Host to their HQ in Racine WI for fun and frolics along with some extra instruction on Dry Extraction Carpet Cleaning. They were honest enough to say that the Host System was capable of cleaning all carpet and soiling types, but there would be occasions where an alternative system would be quicker and hence, more cost effective. It was something we were all aware of, but it was refreshing to hear it.

One of the features they had in their training facility was a small area to demonstrate the use of  Host Sponges in a floodwater situation. They flooded the carpeted area with copious amounts of water. Allowed a suitable time for total penetration of the carpet and underlay, then vacuum extracted. They then took a LOT of sponges and covered the entire area to, I think, at least 2 inches thick. When we returned the next morning, the sponges had that patchy wet/dry appearance. By the end of that day, all the sponges were dry. So was the carpet and underlay. A tip from Host was, that if you are involved with maintenance as well as flood restoration, save the old sponges from your maint. clean. and use those to save on costs. I used this drying technique several years ago on a lounge wool Wilton on floor boards that was flooded and VERY tight on the gripper. Madam wasn't insured and didn't want the carpet to shrink. I used 2 boxes of new sponges after vacuum extraction and it worked.
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 14 November 2003
Uh-oh...

Now what have i started?

Ok...

In the red corner we have the HWE crew...

In the blue corner we have the dry clean gang...

I want a good clean discussion, no coffee spills, doggy doo doo stains, wick back and dye stains Grin

keep'em coming guys.

This dry cleaning technology has certainly moved on and with the litrature i have I will be hopefully going in this direction.

regards

Martin Cool

Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 14 November 2003
on 11/13/03 at 19:43:45, A_to_Z_Clean wrote:
Hi martin Grin Grin

Adam
AtoZ Clean

Adam where did you get them prices from prices i have are 12kg bucket £37.50+vat or 2x12kg refills £69.00.The machines e30 at 1095+vat

Posted by A_to_Z_Clean (A_to_Z_Clean), 14 November 2003
Hi,
Sorry sponger 37£ for 12kg and mashine price with vat in Grin Grin Grin

I spoke with Jill Phillips

Adam

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.