Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Global Sub Contractors

Posted by kcs (Marbles), 25 January 2004
Hi
Are there any Global Sub Contractors out there? Would like to contact.

Cheers!!

Andrew
Posted by DP (DP), 25 January 2004
Has to be asked

WHY?

DP
Posted by kcs (Marbles), 25 January 2004
I have a few global contracts. Although Global quote having hundreds of contractors they are a bit shy in forwarding contact details. Would be nice to exchange ideas and views.

Cheers!!

Andrew
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 26 January 2004
Hi Marble, I stumble across Global from time to time and their reputation is not exactly brilliant.

Whilst we occasionally quote for the same job I am not aware of any contracts that they actually have, they tend to operate at the very small end of the market.

I bid for a contract once that went to Global who had submitted a very low price. A couple of weeks later the client phoned me back offering me the contract as Global couldn't find anyone to take the work on at that price.

I understand that they work along a similar line to a franchise, but instead of having appointed franchisees they find somebody local to take on the contract on a self-employed or sub-contract basis (as you mention in your opening post) thus taking the icing off the cake but without any real cost or responsibility.

Is this right? How do you find working on this basis for them?

I worked for a short while with a guy who had apparently been their National Sales Manager, he said he'd never go near them again (but that could have been sour grapes).

If my assessment of them is correct there is another company, ProCare, who operate along the same lines.

Regards

Musicman  

Regards

Musicman
Posted by cleaning (cleaning), 26 January 2004
Marbles,

I had exactly the same experience as musicman with Global. They won the contract and could'nt get anyone to start it, subsequently the contract awarded to us.

Posted by kcs (Marbles), 26 January 2004
Musicman & Cleaning,

Your partly correct in your post. Global find local people to pay a finders fee for a 24 month renuable contract. When i took on my first a couple of years ago (my way of getting established) you would expect to pay around 3x the monthly billing, minimum fee of £600.00. Now its 5 & 6x monthly billing. If you do not have the ready cash you can purchase on account and pay it up, but generally the x factor goes up as well. Globals Bus Development Manager tells me you would expect to pay a large apr on the loan. Needless to say i will not be taking anymore and fortunately i had the cash to pay finders fees outright.

My personal opinion is that they do tend to operate at the lower end of the market, client billing tends to be in my area (West Yorkshire) anyway upto and around the £500.00/m. I do have larger billings but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Can't comment on them not fullfilling the client contract with a sub contractor, but they seem to get their fair share of contracts. Whearther they keep them or not i can't say.

Cheers!!

Andrew
Posted by a.gomes (a.gomes), 5 February 2004
My name is A.Gomes.
I live in Chester (Cheshire).

I just move from Surrey/Berkshire area to here, were I' had a lot off contracts.

I'm not really a sales man, and I start with Global one month ago, because I' didn't find other way to get contracts, in Chester area.

I' m available to speak with Global contractors, my e'mail: satol@tesco.net

Can any mate help me to find jobs in this territory like sub-contractors or buying contacts?

Thank you for your co-operation,
A.Gomes.
Posted by heritagecleaning (heritagecleaning), 5 February 2004
Same story.....I won a contract away from Global. They got the job but then never confirmed a start date as they couldn't find staff.

Strange way to do business......If I'm short of staff I do it myself untl I can get some.

Owen
Posted by kcs (Marbles), 5 February 2004
Hi Owen

If you are talking about Global Cleaning contracts PLC then i should point out to you that they do not employ staff but sell cleaning contracts by way of a finders fee (see my ealier post).

If they can't find a sub contractor to sell to or get an existing contractor to caretake the contract, then that could be why they could not start the contract.

As a matter of interest was your price higher than theirs?

Cheers!!

Andrew
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 5 February 2004
What happens if you loose one of these Global Contracts.

Is there a reasonable profit margin
Posted by heritagecleaning (heritagecleaning), 6 February 2004
Andrew

My price was significantly higher, but I did promise a stressed out manager I could start the next day, and kept the promise.

I don't see why anyone looking for contracts would go about it in this way. Why not just do some flyers or mailshots?

Cheers

Owen
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 6 February 2004
Some years ago now we lost quite a large contract to Global who when it went out to tender put in a quote for half our price Shocked but a few months down the line they asked us back  Roll Eyes

Steve
Posted by kcs (Marbles), 6 February 2004
Ian

Depends why you/global lost contract. If it is the contractors fault eg poor cleaning then finders fee is lost regardless of time contract run.

If it is globals fault mmm.......

There are small gaurantees of some of your finders fee back if client goes out of business, moves or closes down, other than that pot luck!!

Onthe point of profit not nearly as much as if you had the contract direct. You would obviously have to take into account the finders fee when looking at you nett profit.

Cheers!!
Andrew
Posted by kcs (Marbles), 6 February 2004
Owen

As i posted  previously it was seen by me as an easy way of getting in to the market. On reflection i would not do it that way again.

Cheers!!

Andrew
Posted by heritagecleaning (heritagecleaning), 6 February 2004
Andrew

I didn't mean any offence.....I did a similar not too sensible thing in 1997 when I bought a cleaning franchise, which I got out of in 1999.

If only I'd known then what I know now!

Owen
Posted by timeform (timeform), 8 February 2004
hi marbles nice to meet you yesterday and the other contractors hope we can expand on this and get more global contractors into forum keep in touch  

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.