Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

how to buy stuff long distance ?

Posted by josephus (josephus), 25 February 2004
hi all

thanks for the replies about the extraction machine i wanted.

i think ive got the right machine. but how do i collect.

the cynic in me hates sending money before the product gets to me, as im sure it would if i was sending a machine that wasnt paid for yet.

so how do i do business safely 300 miles apart ?

regards

josephus
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 25 February 2004
Josephus.
We are doing business all the time on the internet, why not pay by credit card and you should have money back relief if goods are faulty. Cool
Either that or a nice drive on a day out Shocked ..... you can claim fuel and overnight stay, if you do it right Wink
Posted by Ed_Valentine (Ed Valentine), 25 February 2004
Josephus;

Chris is right in remarking that a large majority of commerce is being done on the internet these days without a hassle. That has been my experiences as a "Buyer" and a "Seller", world-wide.

The key here is "trust", especially if this is new to you. I would research the company you are dealing with and speak to several of their customers. See how long they have been in business. These two aspects will tell you alot because someone in business a long time has not achieved that by not delivering on product.

Those are my thoughts and experiences.

Good Fortune to small business;
Ed Valentine
Posted by josephus (josephus), 25 February 2004
sorry guys perhaps i should be clearer. Smiley

ium getting a second hand machine privately and am not sure how to arrange a secure method of payment.

not to imply anything but since i dont iknow the seller (who is most likely reading this shaking his head) Roll Eyes i want to be safe in case anything went wrong.

regards

josephus
Posted by Fox (Fox), 25 February 2004
Hi

Why not agree a delivery date and send a post dated cheque (with guarentee number).

If the machine doesn't turn up on the day cancel the cheque.

Fox

Posted by jmj (jmj), 25 February 2004
Ive just brought a second hand machine off e bay and got a real bargain.I had the same reservations as you but as it turned out the guy was genuine.I personally travelled down to pick the machine up, this gives you the chance to look before you buy.It doesn't cost much more then having it delivered.

good luck
Posted by chrisw (chrisw), 25 February 2004
Hi Josephus,
                  I bought my used Cheyenne in Preston from a guy on another forum. I checked his other posts just to try and get an idea about him, spoke to him on phone, and took the car over, tried the machine out, once I was satisfied I paid him cash, back home that night. He turned out a decent guy and I got myself a great deal and a day away which I could offset. Do your homework as best you can, but you still need to take a bit of a chance, a calculated risk. Good luck  Cool
Chris
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 26 February 2004
Fox,

Surely with the cheque guarantee number on the back it cannot be cancelled  Huh

John.
Posted by Fox (Fox), 26 February 2004
Hmmmmm - don't know about that - good point.

Thought the guarentee was just that the bank would honour the amount rather than have to honour the cheque if cancelled.

Will have to look into that one!  Grin

Fox
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 26 February 2004
John & Fox

Check with your banks re cheque guarantee cards/numbers, I think you will find that the receiver of the cheque has to write the number on it not the person who cheque it is, this will also depend on the value of the guarantee card. Post dated chqs mean nothing, If they are submitted too the bank they get paid, I could be wrong but it’s worth checking, before getting you finger burnt.

I take customers chq’s with no problem but I know were they live but if they are moving out it must be cash!

Len

Posted by Fox (Fox), 27 February 2004
Hi Len

What I was trying to say is that I think that it doesn't matter who writes the guarentee number on the cheque, it is only worth the amount of the card, if it's more than the card says does the bank have to honour it then?

I think you will find a post dated chq can be cancelled whether submitted or not - the bank will normally take that resposibility and refund if cancelled.

But like you said worth checking with your particular supplier - some are better than others Wink

Fox
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 27 February 2004
A post dated cheque can be paid into the bank at anytime before the date put on the cheque, so 1st Direct told me.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 27 February 2004
Hi Fox

Buying from a dealer/supplier which are referring too is one thing, but buying long distant as the start of this post refers too, from an advert be it eBay, papers etc from Jo public is another.  It’s worth checking with your bank/credit card company that you know their rules, that way you are covered and there can’t be any recriminations.

I also checked with my bank today, as I said post-dated cheque mean nothing once it is submitted it paid a few days later. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.