Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Chewing Gum Removal

Posted by bob (bob), 28 October 2003
Hi All,
As with all of us I find getting Chewing Gum out of carpets hard work. I have used most of the products on the market the most recent one being 'Rid-A-Gum, not bad stuff but at around £10.77p for 500ml from CleanTalk, not the cheapest. I am going to look at the 3G Cleaning Gum Fighter machine in the next day or to and would ask if any one has any comments about this machine or any magic way of removing Gum and the like.
Thanks Bob the Job
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 29 October 2003
Roll Eyes

freeze spray works pretty good

Be carefull using solvent on glue down[flash=200,200][/flash]
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 29 October 2003
Ivar

I take my hat off to you...I have NEVER got along with the freezer spray removers and prefer to use the citrus gels instead.
I have found them to work well without the penetration to backings that you could get with using pure solvents.

Cheers
Derek
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 29 October 2003
Like Derek I have never got on with freezer sprays, although I accept that they are probably ideal for daily maintenance.

Once the wad has been impacted into the carpet and mixed with grit, powdered glass etc. freezing just does not work. The fact that the wad will, on some carpets, contain carpet fibres means that if the wad is broken, these fibres will tear.

Citrus gel, aided by a good steam pistol removes most of the mass and a follow-up with d'limonene or 'Solvall' (used with caution, not poured on) is sometimes required.

John

Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 29 October 2003
Cheesy yes i to use the citrus gel seems to work pretty well, and with the freeze spray and chip technique i find it ends up in my clothing and hair!!

a good friend of mine bob in pompy swears by this rid a gum stuff so if he says its good then its good Roll Eyes
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 29 October 2003
I have a couple of sites for bonnet mopping every 3 months. I use OneStep @1:10 in my sprayer. The water on site is usually quite hot at about 60 to 70C. I get quite a bit of BlueTac and occasional wads of chewy. I place the tip of my sprayer on the floor and try to aim the spray underneath the wad, if you can understand what I'm trying to say. A quick blast from the sprayer and a quick agitate with a steel spatula, hey presto it's gone. It's quicker for me in this instance than using a Citrus Gel type product. Bonnet afterwards and never had a problem with the bitumen tile backing. OK, everything is less than 3 months old, so it may not be suitable for lots of wads that have been there for a year or two, but it's more ammunition in your armoury.

I've heard a lot of favourable reports about Rid-a-Gum. One from an operator who has used all the tools, gadgets and solutions under the sun. He now buys it by the caseful.
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 30 October 2003
Hi Bob,

I use a very similar machine to the Gum Fighters; however, I would be very careful when using on rubber backed carpets or floor tiles as it burns, the temp of the equipment needs to be from 85 to 130.

I personally love my machines, however, I’ve had a couple of worrying moments – Ashby’s have a V2 Chewing Gum spotting Wand, I’m not to sure what it’s like but I’m on a course with them next week and I’m going to put it to the test. If the results are no better I’d suggest continuing with Rid a Gum.

Hope this helps

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 30 October 2003
Alex,

The V2 gum wand consists of a cylindrical wand with the jet enclosed within and a toothed scraper bar at the back end. When attatched to their V2 Steamate, with steam @ 110C it most certainly should work but would require caution in use to avoid both heat and mecanical damage.

Thik I'll stick to the hands-and-knees approach!
Posted by R.P.CLEANING (R.P.CLEANING), 30 October 2003
if you get stuck lol. try a bit of boiling water rub with spoon till it spreads. tip a cap full of white spirt ( not turps) rub with cap it vanishes and it removes the reidue. £1 from the pound shop.
Works on pub carpets.
Cheers Rod
P.S. I will get branded a cowboy for that tip
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 30 October 2003
Too late we already know you are.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.