Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Whos fault is this?

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 October 2003
OK  I know this is'nt exactly about carpet cleaning but i'd still like your view on this.

I've just had some printing done ( headed paper, etc) and the printer has done a fantastic job he used some really good quality paper  but  the ink won't take from my bubble jet printer it just rubs off!!

the printer says I should have told him what printer I had, the paper he used is only suitable with a laser printer.

Now i'll have to buy a laser printer, but  why the hell should I. I've got a perfectly good bubble jet.

what do you think?

Mike
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 12 October 2003
Sadly Mike, from what you tell us it's a break down in communications. Six of one.......

Two aspects to consider. Would it be cheaper to buy a new laser printer or replace the stationary. Because of the c*ck up, your printer may be prepared to give you a preferential, one off rate. You'd then have the original stationary for use later with a laser P.  If you intend to one day buy a laser printer, now may be the time to do it.

Whatever you do, I think it's going to hurt your pocket. If you need longer arms to reach all the way in,  I can recommend a really good surgeon Wink
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 12 October 2003
Wink
If you do bur a laser I can Rec the Samsung ML-4500
it will enhance your printouts and retails at about £70
Kind Rgds
Tony
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 October 2003
£70!!!!!!!!

If they were that cheap I'd buy one for the cat! I went to pc world today the cheapest was £99 ( reduced from £150)

I am tempted to buy one because the salesmen was telling me the print cost per page is way cheaper than a bubble jet and I do a lot of printing.

Mike
Posted by pristineclean (pristineclean), 16 October 2003
While the above answers are sensible advice, I think that I would have handed the paper back to the printer.

By a huge margin, more people use inkjet than laser and unless the limitation of the paper was unequivocally pointed out, the printer was supplying materials not fit for the purpose (and for all you budding lawyers out there, I know the consumer acts dont apply, but the principle is still held in contract law).

Anyway rant completed  Grin and good luck whatever you decide

Callum
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 16 October 2003
in the end, I'm now the proud owner of a  samsung laser printer Roll Eyes but I've also got a good deal on some full colour leaflets Grin

Mike
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 16 October 2003
Nice one Mike. I think you've made the right move. I can see where Callum's coming from on this one, but it would be reasonable to presume that you've had a good working relationship with your printer in the past, and would like it to continue this way. With the deal you've got for your colour leaflets, it  shows that he is working with you. With a one off error, regardless of where the blame lies, it's important to look at the bigger picture. We'd expect the same sort of undestanding from our own customers.
Posted by pristineclean (pristineclean), 16 October 2003
If I'm being honest, it's not the error that gets me a tad hot under the collar, so much as the implication that Mike was somehow 'wrong' in not telling the printer that he had an inkjet.

I'm not being a keyboard hero, and I have a great relationship with all my suppliers, but it irks me a bit that the printers' error should have had any financial penalty for Mike, although laser printers are the mutts nuts for volume printing, and he should have got one ages ago  Grin

Callum

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.