Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Sealskinz Gloves - rubbish?

Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 26 January 2004
I bought a couple of pairs of Sealskinz gloves for window cleaning, as they're made from "porelle" and are waterproof.

www.sealskinz.com

Though they are warm, they did not prove to be waterproof for very long.  I used them for the 2nd time today and they leaked.

At £20 a pair I am most unimpressed.  Especially as they say "for window cleaning" on the packet.

Anyone else had this trouble?

Silly

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 26 January 2004
Used to use the Unger porous ones but got tired of soggy hands and smelly gloves.

We've just started using the Glacier Perfect Curve from the WindowClean Centre and they're great.

Especially if you have them on the dash with the heater on to get them warmed up before the first job  Wink
Posted by stepheng (peggyc), 26 January 2004
I use a sealskin all in one for maximum protection from the elements.

ps  thay look great too!
Posted by SealSkinz (SealSkinz), 27 January 2004
SealSkinz replace any faulty gloves - I suggest you send them back for testing to Porvair International Ltd, Estuary Road, King's Lynn, Norfolk PE 30 2HS.  All Sealskinz are tested during manufacture for waterproofness so you may have a rogue pair.
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 27 January 2004
i do like my sealskinz cant say i have had a problem with them at all.
Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 28 January 2004
Guess who introduced Sealskinz to thewindow cleaning industry Omn-p---
nuff said
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 28 January 2004
OOOOH No, no, no.... Its creeping into everything now.
Next thing OTT will get the blame for the bad weather.
I dispair
Denzle
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 28 January 2004
You mean it's NOT their fault?
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 28 January 2004
I used Sealskinz till last year I thought they were ok but tended to hold water on the glove outer layer so my dry cloths got wet. I now use Trek Mate gloves. They cost about the same as Sealskinz but as they have a nylon type outer layer they dont hold water like the others. They are waterproof & breathable and I think they are better than Sealskinz. They will last longer too. Try your local hiking store. Sorry I don't have packaging for any contact details.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 28 January 2004
Hi Simon,

Is this them . . . http://www.trek-king.co.uk/product_details.asp?intID=78

The site says they're water-resistant, but you mention they're water-proof - did they ever leak a bit with you?

They're on offer at half price just now, might try a pair.
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 29 January 2004
Hello Dave,
The Trek - mates don't leak. Honest I am not a rep but I think they are the best glove I've come across!
The web site you posted to me is'nt the right one. Try
www.trekmates.co.uk/trekmates.htm. Click on 'DRY' on the Homepage. The gloves I use are the black ones on that page. Give them a go.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 29 January 2004
Thanks Simon,

I've asked for prices and local stockists.

How thick are they? I've been using the Glacier Perfect Curve which are about 2mm thick and still give good "feel" if that's the right term!

Davie
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 30 January 2004
Hi Dave,
The Trek-mate gloves are a bit like those Thinsulate Ski gloves that you see in all sorts of shops. They are not as padded as Ski gloves and don't fit tight like the glacial curve. However they don't make your hands sweat like neoprene does. There is room inside for a lining glove if you want but I don't think you need one. As I said I've had one pair all winter and I think they are great. They are more hardwearing than Sealskins and Unger gloves,I will definatly get some more.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.