Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

HELP! how effective is local paper advertising?

Posted by andy (andy), 11 January 2004
Hi peeps!

Just would like to know how effective paper advertising is.

Do you get good or any responses?

CHEERS!
ANDY.
Posted by Sunshine (Sunshine), 11 January 2004
I would also be very intrested to hear from anyone with experience in this area. I have just dropped 900 leaflets today and the response has only been 3 new customer!!!! Anyone got any thoughts!!!
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 11 January 2004
Hi Sunshine
                 I bet you get more calls yet. A lot of people will ring you Monday onwards at a guees and sometimes you are still getting calls a few weeks later.

Steve
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 11 January 2004
Sunshine you have to follow through by calling back 2 days later and asking did you receive my flier ? that way you will convert 11% +
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 11 January 2004
Sunshine,

Did the streets where you dropped your leaflets need a window cleaner?

If they already have one then you won't get many calls.

People don't want to be without a window cleaner, so whether their window cleaner is good or bad chances are they won't ditch him.

Find a street where there is no window cleaner and i bet the response will be more like 10 -20% then when you are cleaning their windows others in the street should approach you.

I have never had followed up a leaflet drop knocking on doors by selecting streets without a window cleaner
Posted by andy (andy), 11 January 2004
THANKS FOR NO RESPONSE GUY'S TO MY QUESTION!

ANDY. Angry
Posted by peterf (peterf), 12 January 2004
on 01/11/04 at 23:53:37, andy wrote:
THANKS FOR NO RESPONSE GUY'S TO MY QUESTION!

ANDY. Angry

I tried it years ago and it was a waste of time, I dont think people look in the paper for a window cleaner.  I may have gone about it the wrong way, I don't know.

Seems like not many people on the group have tried it, you are probably better sticking with a leaflet drop, and then follow up with some door knocking.

Peter

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 12 January 2004
Hi Andy
I tried to drum up some extra business from adverts in my local paper, and I'd say never again.
I paid 3x£84.00 for an advert 4 lines not in a boarder about 1/2 inch wide and all I got was about 8 replies in the 3 months, 3 I still clean worth about £17 per month as you can see I will have to carry on cleaning these properties all year just to get my money back. Waist of time.
Now I have put an advert in my local Parish church magazine £65. A5 for 12 months, comes out once a month, feedback from builders, plumbers etc who place adverts in the mag have been quite positive saying they get quite a bit of work from their adverts. Seems to be more trust as through the local church will let you know.
Best I have found (a while ago) Pick a area do a leaflet drop say 250-500 a time give a few days I gave a week then do another leaflet drop in same area I picked up 60-70 new jobs in a space of a month. Worked for me.
Also on leaflet stretch it a bit to other services, window cleaning, PVC frame wash- downs conservatory roof cleans guttering cleaning stuff like that.
Hope this helps
Alan

Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 12 January 2004
The problem with ads in local papers, yellow pages, Thompson etc. , is that you get people calling you in a 20 mile radius.

One house on one side of town, and another a couple of miles away from that etc.

You can't get a compact round like that and you will spend half the day loading and unloading your ladders and travelling.

Stick to flyers hitting a full street at a time.
Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 12 January 2004
Flyers and door knocking work the best if you need quick results. Try new housing estates, get your leaflets in before anyone else and you can pick up whole streets. Lots of new people moving in from outside the area and always lots of dust and dirt in the air from on-going building work keeps a window cleaner busy.

Build your reputation and signwrite your van, make sure that your contact details are visible because it promotes trust. A listing in yellow pages is good, but don't spend big money on an advert unless you're based in a city. Newpaper ads, give em a miss, go for local publications such as the church one mentioned. After a couple of years your reputation will go before you and you'll be turning work away.

Tom
Posted by andy (andy), 12 January 2004
 Shockedat last!

Thanks people, that helped me alot.

thanks

ANDY. Kiss Cheesy
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 12 January 2004
They knocked a old school down  near me  a couple of years ago and the land has just been used for dumping old stuff on. A couple of months ago a sign went up saying that they are going to build X amount of houses on the land, so I sent off a letter to there head office offering to clean there show house for one of my cards going in any brouchers they have give out . You never know , they could take me up on it  Cool
Posted by Neil (wylie), 12 January 2004
Hi Majestic
I tried a similar approach the other week only I went into the show home to ask if the lady working there would mind handing my card to any new homeowners as they move in.
She said that if she did it would mean instant dismissal from her job! Shocked
Apparently most builders round here have the same policy. Angry

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.