Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

"Are you a window cleaner?"

Posted by Ken (Ken), 18 October 2003
We've all been asked the unholy trinity of stupid questions I'm sure: "Are you a window cleaner?" (At this moment you will be carrying a ladder, bucket and assortment of squeegees!), "Do you work round here?" (See above) and "How much do you charge?".

How do you respond? I've tried humour, sarcasm and just answering the questions. I prefer sarcasm and adding a couple of quid to the quote!
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 18 October 2003
Your post made me laugh  Grin Yeah that happens quite often. Normally i reply with a simple yes i am, with a smile knowing i can charge more because they have approached me.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 18 October 2003
I reply with a yes but am very busy, then they ask if I could fit them in , which I reply not realy, but I will try to do them next time. What ever I was charging for the house when they saw me I will just add a little to it and do theres next time .It allways works , customer happy and they think that you are doing them a favour Cool
Posted by Rick (Rick), 18 October 2003
hahaah. lol to the, "are you the window cleaner round here"?

but seriously, people do say that sort of talk cause just for somthing to say and stuff. a way of introducing themselves
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 11 January 2004
Yeah this realy make's me  Cheesy  i normaly say am tv sale's man you should there face's thay dont know what to do..
Posted by poleman (poleman), 11 January 2004
there is a bloke down here that has the words on the side of his van saying YES IAM A WINDOW CLEANER with his tel no below, must work for him.

andy
dorset

fed member
Posted by paul (paul), 11 January 2004
i usally say no im a painter and decorator Grin
Posted by shinebright (shinebright), 11 January 2004
I had an old lady open the bedroom window next door to a house that I was cleaning ask "Are you a window cleaner?"

I had just finished the last window on the house that I was doing and the customer was not home, so I thought that I would have a laugh.

I replied "No, I am a burglar and I thought that this was a good disguise." I then ran off with my ladders and bucket to my car, strapped the ladders onto the roofrack and sped off.

I returned 10 mins later to drop a card in at my customers house and called on the old lady. Her husband answered the door, fortunately he saw the funny side while his wife had been insisting on calling the police for the 10 mins that I had been away. I explained that this is a question that I am often asked and decided to startle the next person that asked which happened to be her.

The result: They are now customers and the experince has been related to many in the area who have also become customers. People need some light hearted entertainment - give it to them.

Posted by Bones (Bones), 12 January 2004
Hi,

I just reply "Window Cleaner!! no!! I'm a Vision Technician"  Grin

Mikey

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.