Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Thinking of starting cleaning business

Posted by ashb (ashb), 19 January 2004
Hi there,

I've been looking to start my own business for a while now but have never really hit on the right idea.

I actually work as a lettings negotiator at the moment and we are finding it increasingly difficult to find good reliable cleaners, we have 3 or 4 in the area, 1 is so busy they dont even advertise, 1 is based about 20 miles away and i would imagine that when their business grows they wont need to cover our area, the other two have very bad reputations. Basically i think i've discovered a void in the market.

I had two enquiries from clients today asking me to recommend cleaners to them.

I'm thinking of initially starting the business part time (with my partner doing most of the initial cleaning work), if business took off then i would look to leave work and begin full time.

Obviously doing my job i have been able to calculate companies charges they all look to be around about £17 - 19 per hour (they dont put this on their invoices, i calculate the time they have the keys!). Does this sound feasable to you guys? In the long term we would look to employ cleaners and merely supervise / check the standard of work.

By the way were in Dorset.
Posted by petra (petra), 19 January 2004
As we always say every area is different, so if you have done your homework then you should be ok
Petra

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.