Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

woven backed - warping

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 7 December 2003
I have the odd occasion in the past of cleaning a woven backed carpet and even though it looks well fitted and secured it has still warped in a few places.
What suggestions do people have in trying to prevent such a thing. I use wool approved chemicals and keep the solution not too hot.

Thanks

Paul
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 7 December 2003
Dont worry

Should flatten when completely dry.

Mark

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 7 December 2003
I presume Paul, that by woven backed you mean a tufted carpet, sometimes also refered to as secondary or hessian backed. In this case, the reply I would give is the same as Mark's.

If, however, you are refering to a carpet of woven construction, then the answer is quite different. For these carpets, we are normally talking about Axminster and Wiltons. These carpets will shrink if care is not taken. This care, apart from having a good cleaning technique, is primarily down to the pre-inspection. If, say, the gripper under a radiator is not very secure, the carpet's shrinkage potential will find this weak point and pull away. This will leave a ruck in the carpet. The fitting will need to be made good and the carpet re-stretched.

In this type of situation, unless a safety hazard, I would normally advise leaving the carpet as is for about a week prior to rectification. To my customers, I liken this to laundering a pair of cotton trousers/jeans. After laundering, the jeans will be tight for a short while, but after some use, the fibres and yarns relax to give a better fit. Likewise with a carpet. The refit is then easier to perform and will lay better.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 8 December 2003
good advice Ken - I agree!!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.