Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Backup your PC for new year DO IT!

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 29 December 2003
Hi Gentleman

I had a worthwhile reminder on how important it is to backup ones PC today.

When i turned it on today Bang (with smoke)  the power supply blew up frying the motherboard and Hard drive in the process.

Luckily i had all the really important stuff on my usb stick.

Grin Grin Grin.

Make it a new years resolution my friends to back up all your important stuff.

Here endeth the lesson.

Alex
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 30 December 2003
Hi Alex,
          If you have important stuff on your pc it is a good idea to ghost your hard drive using software like Norton Ghost because at least then you can get everything back should the worst happen. Cry  I installed a second hard drive in my pc so i back up everthing to the second h/drive as well.

Steve
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 31 December 2003
Been there NOT done that Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

My C drive went balls up a few days ago LOST everything  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Very good post Alex.
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 2 January 2004
Hi chaps

Sorry took a while to reply , but one word of caution on the second hard drive style of things.

My powersupply went down which in turn fried the motherboard , sadly this also fried a chip on the hard and the dvd/cdrom drive.

Who can say for sure but if you had two hard drives and the same thing (touch wood it doesn't) happened to you , you may lose both.

I think the norton ghost stuff is pretty good but what i would say is make sure you keep those documents and records on something like a 64mb portable usb drive you can one for about £50 quid and even keep it on your keyfob.

Remember if you run xp to have that firewall active when you are on broadband as well.

As this is not carpet cleaning i'll keep quiet on the subject from now on

Happy new year to all.

Grin Grin Grin

Alex

Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 2 January 2004
It may not be carpet cleaning but without a pc most CCs would not be able to function when it comes to repeat calls, accounts etc so TOP MAN Cool for raising the point.
I am off to pc world Embarassed
Posted by lenpg (lenpg), 2 January 2004
Grin
Hi Steve

Ghosting will only work on the same motherboard you cannot use ghosting hard drive in another computer system.

The only way to protect your DATA is to back up ether to floppy disk (very old fashioned), CD R/RW, DVD R/RW or a separate hard drive plus the for mentioned.

It’s worth buying a power surge plug (around £27 or less)

Len

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 3 January 2004
Ghosting will work on other M/B,s But will require the installation cd to install drivers etc. Also you can use Norton Explorer (supplied with Ghost) to copy view move any ghosted files. So if you connect your hard drive to another machine which has Norton installed you can get at your files. That apart, as the files you are likely to want are probably just data files, save them to a CD.   Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 3 January 2004
Hi Len,
         Ghosting your hard drive has saved me a few times in the past when i have encountered data corruption but i do copy all important files to a cd/r and also do daily back ups of my accounts etc.

Steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.