Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Anyone got or tried Laddermate?

Posted by Bones (Bones), 7 October 2003
Hi, as the slippery season is approaching us and other members are asking about slippery surfaces, i have been looking at ladder safety products.

I noticed a product called "LadderMate". I wondered if anyone has one of these or has used one. As far as i can see (not having tried one), it is going to give a lot of security and peace of mind of the ladders slipping from beneath you. I will paste the link for the Q's & A's page at the end of this post for you to read.

As i am still a newbie to the trade I though it would be a good idea to ask you guy's.

http://www.safetyfirsteurope.co.uk/laddertips.htm

Mikey
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Well_Fed_Man), 7 October 2003
Mikey,
The Fed have a ladder safety video, very good if you are thinking of joining Grin
I have a few, I use Stabilad probably the most. Also Microlite which stays fixed on the top of the ladder like a stand off bracket (so you don't have to refit) and has D wheels which compress to stop kick out.  But sometimes I don't want that.  The Stopper is also good but like many you have to remove the device then move the ladder then refit the device, slower but better than falling off!
In a jam use a damp swab (I use no2 scrim), a rubber bath mat also works well on shiny surfaces.
But the best thing to remember is 'IF IN DOUBT, DON'T'  Trust your instincts.
Posted by rsaxon7 (rsaxon7), 12 October 2003
just looked at the pictures of that 'laddermate'. that thing looks like a real gimmicky piece of shite, bet it doesn't do fuckall. just have a full bucket of water and place it snuggly behind the feet of the ladder underneath the first rung if you are on unscored concrete. if the ladder does go the bucket will give the ladder more traction on the floor, like a car with wider wheels. but i have had ladders go back on me on unscored concrete, its the most dangerous surface apart from like.....glass or somthing. don't bother if you're not sure. i have medium spikes on my ladder, best on grass/soil (at any angle) and pretty good on tarmac and non slip concrete slabs etc. and i've seen daredevils going up ladders at well over 45 degrees BAHAHAHA!!.....and the ladder still didn't go back, bahaha! hilarious  Grin
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 12 October 2003
If im unsure i try and wedge the top of the ladder tight under the window sill and kick the feet towards the propity making the ladder nice and taught.

A few years ago a ladder slid back a few feet while i was on the top. Some how and i still dont know how it didn't slide all the way back and i had to get down very gingerly then go home and change my trousers  Grin
Posted by rsaxon7 (rsaxon7), 12 October 2003
yeah, i had a ladder slide back on me, then stop. mine caught a crack in the unscored cement. i'm lucky. as the ladder had already smashed the top panel of the window below. if it had gone back any further, then it would have put the big window beneath it through. and i would have gone through it as well....phew!

and luckily, the guy who lived there worked for the council, and he got the putty and glass for free. and he never asked for a penny off me! but i don't clean the top back window anymore. as his back yard is unscrored concrete. you would prolly slip up just walking about on it if it was wet
Posted by DR_WYNDAZ (DR_WYNDAZ), 16 October 2003
I HAVE JUST PLACED ORDER FOR LADDERMATE TODAY AS I HAVE SOME WELL DODGY JOBS IN LEEDS. WE HAVE BACK2BACK HOUSES WITH MUCKY FRONT YARDS AND YOU HAVE TO GO UP OVER THE CELLAR STAIRWELL, USUALLY WITH COMPLIMENTARY BARBED WIRE AND SPIKED RAILINGS. WILL POST RESULTS OF LADDERMATE AS SOON AS I'VE USED IT. IF I'M NOT SPIKED THAT IS. Grin
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 16 October 2003
Dr. Wyndaz,

If they're that dodgy, why not use an extension pole?  Smiley
Posted by simonb (simonb), 16 October 2003
Only dodgy window cleaners do dodgy jobs! Cheesy
Posted by James (Stooby), 16 October 2003
Good window cleaners know how to do dodgy jobs safely.
If you're working over railings tie your ladder to the railings with a good rope. It costs less than a laddermate, mate!  Wink

Stooby
Posted by DR_WYNDAZ (DR_WYNDAZ), 18 October 2003
Alright Alright Funny Misters

1.I'm not dodgy i do em cos' they pay me to do em. I wish I could afford to turn jobs down but, there's not too many manor houses on my round. Actually there is one. a 10 mile drive but she pays loads.

2. I do use a extention pole after the 1st clean but I cant seem to clean very mucky stuff unless I get up there and do it properly the 1st time.

3. I do tie my ladders to railings but it takes time and usually loosens the railings as there all over 100 years old. Anybody seen a Leeds Back2Back? Awful. I used to live in one.

4. STOP PICKIN ON ME Grin I'LL JUST TALK TO BONES HE DONT TAKE THE WEE WEE
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 18 October 2003
Ok guy's "Calm Down, Calm Down" (said in a scouse accent) ha ha  Grin Wink
Posted by DR_WYNDAZ (DR_WYNDAZ), 18 October 2003

Bones

Bet u didnt know LadderMate was such a controversial subject HA HA.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.