Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Fire Damage

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 7 November 2003
I have been asked to price the inside windows of a house that has had a fire.
The bad ones have been replaced but the ones that are left have a covering of smoke dust on them , when you put your finger on them it has like  a film covering the glass , any ideas on what is the best product to remove it  Cool
Posted by DP (DP), 7 November 2003
Hi
You wont find any problem using your normal chemicals for cleaning, although the smoke will be acidic hence any mild alkaline (even washing up liquid) will do it, just allow to do them twice, first time just wash with bucket and water and a sponge however the problems will come with the frames, will you be required to deal with them? if so what material are they?

DP.

Hi DP
The frames are plastic  Cool
Posted by DP (DP), 7 November 2003
Ok I take it you will have to do them.

This is where the acid content will etch into the plastic and leave heavy staining dependant on time, as the acid continues to etch until neutralized. So if the fire happen in the last few days it shouldn’t be too bad, if it happened 6 months ago, you will have a much harder job and may never get it out, always limit your quotes with fires to 7-14 days only but even that’s too long

The only way to get the staining out is to use a strong alkaline diluted in water first then used neat on the heavy stains You need to use at least a 11ph or higher, but not caustic to kill the smoke (which can remain active for years) and remove the deep staining.

There are a number of the high alkaline detergents out there (NOT SUGER SOAP) such as Strong Arm or Power Clean which we use all the time, even Prochem have one although theirs was originally developed to remove Tobacco Smoke it still works quite well

Always rinse well with CLEAN water and use gloves as your hands will dry out badly.

Perhaps you can ask Express, their sure to have one. However don’t get these chemicals on the glass especially neat as they will etch.

If you do (it is hard sometimes) just use a chrome polish like Solvo Auto from a car shop which will buff it out.

One of my lads got some on a £5000 dressing room mirror at a fire at the Albert Hall once an that stuff saved my rear end.

I have been dealing with commercial and domestic Fires and Floods for 25 years now full time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks DP Cool
Posted by Neil (wylie), 7 November 2003
WOW!!
Thats why I love this forum, Were else would you get that kind of knowledge that quickly. Smiley Smiley Smiley  
Posted by fez (fez), 7 November 2003
DP!
That was one of the most useful replies to a question ever!

I've never had to quote for fire damage yet, but if I get asked now, I'll know what to do!

Cheers! Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.