Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

What to buy, advice please.

Posted by Happyeater (Happyeater), 2 February 2004
I have a commercial cleaning business and most of out work is office cleaning etc. I do get involved in commercial carpet cleans, common areas, offices etc.

We have a Truvox champ supreme 'pull along' type of machine, and we bonnet too. The chemicals are Chemspec and we do 'ok'.

However, recently we have done a few jobs on dirty entrance carpets blue/grey in colour and they've not come up well. They wick back and using a bonnet still doesn't make the carpet look as it should. I'm interested in what you experts think. The gear has to be portable enough to go in cars but good enough to tackle the dirty stuff too.

Considered the Prochem Cheyenne type etc and like the sound of a RX20 machine. I'm really undecided. Please advise.
Posted by rob_s (rob_s), 2 February 2004
Hi Happyeater

I have a Prochem Cheyenne myself which I am selling.  It fits in the rear of a hatchback car lying on its back and is powerful enough for any commercial cleaning, with approx 140 inch water lift.  

The chemicals you are using on yr commercial job may not be neutralising in your carpets, therefore causing residues and rapid re-soiling.

To rectify this use an acid rinse afterwards.Or move over to microsplitters a cleaner that also nuetralises in one. e.g One step.

Regards  rob -s Wink
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 2 February 2004
SmileyHi

I sorry to offend, I’m not questing your machines or method just the way you are portraying your company as a professional body Cars/estates, if a cc turn up at my home/work place in that type vehicle this also would apply to a beaten up van, I would send then away; presentation dose count’s.

Len  

Posted by Happyeater (Happyeater), 2 February 2004
Thanks Rob, I may chat to you about your machine one I have more of an idea about which way we're going.

Len we t/o £500,000 are very profitable and our clients rate our company as professional and we are growing rapidly. We get a 'contact evaluation' from every client and 86% of responses are marked 'excellent' or 'very good'. Just because we use cars as a mode of transport doesn't make us amateurs or unprofessional.

Many of our competitors have vans, we gladly take their business from them.  Wink
Posted by mark_roberts (mark_roberts), 2 February 2004
I've never used a pull along type extraction machine only HWE portable type (Ninga).

I cleaned a 10x7 carpet today.  Heavy soiling in an entrance area.  Host brush the carpet to loose compact soil.  Pre-vac, pre-spray with one-step and agitate with host, HWE and then post bonnet.  Looked excellant when finished.

I advised client that it was a restoration clean beforehand but sometimes there trashed beyond redemption.

thanks
Mark
Posted by rob_s (rob_s), 2 February 2004
Hi Len,

In reply to your last comments re: cars/estates - I was shocked.

I do represent a professional image, all our vehicles are signwritten and very smart in appearance.

I have successfully run my business for the past 20 years, with many referals from people who, thankfully, do not have your opinions on cars/estates, etc.

Rob-s Grin
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 3 February 2004
Hi Guys

In Leicester we have people in the contract cleaning game who use cars exclusively...some 'look' professional and some don't.
Len, in his post, also referred to 'beaten up vans' as being unprofessional and I am sure you will agree he's right.

Maybe in the back of Len's mind was the question that immediately came into mine....'How on earth do you get all the bits and pieces we carpet cleaners carry into a car?' Grin  
It would be like trying to get an elephant into a Mini

Regards
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.