Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Scotchgard for leather

Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 25 October 2003
Can you use scotchgard on leather i've got a customer who wants her leather suite cleaned and scotchgarded she says it was done about nine years ago when it was purchased.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 25 October 2003
Steve,

whilst I have no experience in applyin an protector to leather, I would be extreamly hesitant to do so.

A solvent based product, even if sake on the dye would most likely have an astringent effect on the leather, which could cause cracking/splits/delamination over a period of months, At the very least it would reverse the affect of the conditioning oils so important to it's continued good health.

A water based product would largely run off a properly cleaned suite due to the conditioning treatment.

I have come across some waxes (mainly for shoes) which perport to contain Scotchguard but the lack of general adoption by 'Cherry Blossom' etc. sugests that the addative was more for marketing puposes than any real-world value.

Sorry it's not an authorative answer - more a cautionary note and likely echos thoughts of your own but I would walk away from the job if the customer remains insistant.

John.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 25 October 2003
Hi Steve

Scotchgard treatment for Leather is carried out during the initial processing of the leather. Scotchgard cannot be applied as a post treatment...

however...

Contact:- Multimaster on 08700 133266... They do a leather protection cream as part of their Leather care range of products.

Hope this helps
Derek
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 25 October 2003
on 10/25/03 at 16:27:28, Derek Bolton wrote:
Hi Steve

Scotchgard treatment for Leather is carried out during the initial processing of the leather. Scotchgard cannot be applied as a post treatment...

however...

Contact:- Multimaster on 08700 133266... They do a leather protection cream as part of their Leather care range of products.

Hope this helps
Derek

Thanks that is very helpful

Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 25 October 2003
When i worked at prochem we expiremented with proshine a metallised emulsion polish for hard floors!!

it worked but if you wore synthetic trousers you would slip off onto the floor!!!

There was some crazy ideas back then Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.