Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Where to put Water (2)

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 17 March 2004
Following on from the last time this topic was posted, I said that I had contacted Thames water and was told I had to fill out a Trade Effluent form and pay £70 to have it processed. I aslo was given a copy of a letter by Hydramaster from South west water, which states that as the discharge would be 20 gallons per job they were not interested and had no objection to the disharge into a FOUL drain.
Well I ignored the form hoping it would go away, and recieved a reminder to fill it out.
So I rang them and recieved the following response:-
They used to send letters out similar to the S.W water one  UNTIL the law changed last year. Now ALL discharges into the drainage system requires permission and payment of a yearly fee of £ 77 (they would credit my £70). This includes any persons/companies that discharge any amount, Cleaners, wheelie bin cleaners, carpet cleaners etc.
I asked why they dont actively enforce this, and was told its due to lack of resources, but that anyone discharging without a licence is breaking the law, and if reported that the fine would be more than £ 77.

I asked what would happen if I continued to ignore sending the form back, and was told that 2 more letters would be sent and that again due to limited resources the file would be closed.

This gives me a dilemma, should I do the right thing, go legal and pay the £ 77 every year, and be probably the only CC in Berkshire that does or risk ignoring it.

Its bin day tommorrow, so will ask the Wheelie cleaners if they pay it, and then make my decision.

Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 17 March 2004
as an add-on I forgot to say I was told that I should put all dirty water in containers and bring home to dispose of, as the license only allows disposal on my premises. Easy for a T/M but how about portys?
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 18 March 2004
The wheelie binners dont take theirs home do they, round here they wash them in the road.
Dave.
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 18 March 2004
Many window cleaners are switching to WaterFed Poles

As far as I can work out The Pure Water just drops to the ground.

Would they need a permit ?

How can they take their Water Home.?

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 18 March 2004
Just realised its not Pure when it drops to ground its contaminated
Posted by bruce_wiles (Bruce Wiles), 18 March 2004
Like many people, I too have wondered where to dispose of the waste water I create, road drains, toilets ect.

As a relativaly new CC I want to do the right thing, that is the legal thing. Is there a law that deals with trade effluent ? I'm sure the subject was covered when I was at agricultural college, but that was a long time ago. Smiley

Have you considered getting the client to agree to dispose of waste water for you ? Then it would be their problem, wouldn't it ?
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 18 March 2004
G'day Bruce,

"'Scuse me lady, where do you want to store all this gunge? Shall I put it in the bath for now?"   Grin Grin Grin

I think that idea might be a non-starter, but on a serious note, look back to the earlier thread on this subject - makes interesting reading.

John.
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 18 March 2004
Ian, I assume that the window cleaners use addatives ie chemicals to the water they use, and even if they don't it is still contaminated and therefore classed according to Thames Water as effluent. so yes they should have a license.
Don't know about oyhers but our wheelie cleaners have a pickup adapted with a bay thingy which picks the bins up, upends them and squirts water into them over the hopper. They then finish them off by hand with a pressure gun, on the road side.
Anyway couldn't ask them as they dont come every week, and sods law its not this week.
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 19 March 2004
This is just my opinion  but I think is get stupid now to work for yourself and comply with all the regulations regarding water and for that matter every thing else.  Organisations tell us they don’t have the resources in place, however, they can a times be the first on the scene to fine you.
I consider myself to be a good law abiding citizen who’s looking to earn a few pound notes to make my way in life and I don’t see them helping us.

Maybe some window cleaners can comment on the subject.

Posted by adl (dave at adl), 19 March 2004
I went to see a woman this morning who has done a barn conversion, she wanted a full builders clean and sparkling clean of the house before the carpets get fitted, one of her main concerns was, in her words "i am an enviromentest and we dont want any waste cleaning chemicals left on site or poured down the drains what do u do with the waste" i replied that is no problem we will put it in containers and take it away with us, ok she said thats great send me a quote in the post, just as i was leaving the painter said to her have you anywhere i can wash this roller out she replied "in the kitchen sink through there"  Shocked Shocked Shocked

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.