Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Insurance quotations

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 14 October 2003
Hi Gentleman

Things are moving along well.

I have had lots of information through from proclean and alltech. and i am hoping to get on the next NCCA course( as long as i have not left it too late)

I am yet to get in touch with McGregor Lloyd Ltd. As I am still working in the daytimes.

I have been using the internet mostly for all my research, I have just had an internet based quote returned which quoted me £1500 for proffesional indemnity insurance , is this high or am i being overly optimistic.

Public liabilty at only £121.00 quid a year.

I  know you fella's may not wish to divulge what you pay but a ooh thats cheap or christ thats steep would be good.

Does being trained proffesionally help reduce premiums.

NCCA course etc.

Many thanks, if anyone is willing to tell me what they pay by message ,i will keep quiet.

All the best

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 15 October 2003

DO talk to McGregor Lloyd... I pay a lot less than the £1500 you quoted.
My business these days is simply carpet / upholstery cleaning....I am a Limited Company (have been for may years) and my wife is part of the business (does all the paperwork etc..... (Mr Duncan- Smith take note)
As I am a Limited Company both my wife and I are employees therefore we have to have Employers Liability Insurance

I also carry insurance to cover me when I do training courses (you may not need this) I did pay in the region of £1500 pa when I had a much larger business in contract cleaning .....window cleaning can add considerably...   Have they given you the right policy?

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 15 October 2003
Hi Alex

You will certainly need Public Liability, Products/treatment Liability and even for a one man band you may need employers liability (e.g. if you have a casual labourer to fetch and carry, move furniture etc. even if just one day a year, then you need it.) Products liability will cover you for the item being worked on if you damage /shrink/bleed etc. Some policies only offer £5,000 cover for this. It's easy to have a suite worth more than that. If you clean any commercial premises, you could be working on £100's of K's worth of carpets. I carry £2m cover for this and the same for public liability. Some clients, especially local & national  goverment agencies may require more cover.

As far as I'm aware, there are no schemes yet that give discount linked to training qualifications. Last year, I changed to my banks small traders insurance which cost me £415 for combined Employers/Products/Public liability (HSBC). You don't have to bank there to use their ins. services. If you need Employers Lioability, make sure it covers temporary and part time staff.  HSBC Insurance Brokers Limited: 01202 455545.
Posted by carpetmonsters (carpetmonsters), 15 October 2003
i have just changed to hsbc . they gave me the best quote by far
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 15 October 2003
Hi Stevie boy

You have found out where we are all hiding have you? Roll Eyes

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 15 October 2003
thanks gents , ill get onto mcgregor as you said.

if anyone else has an option please feel free to continue posting.

thanks ken also , do i have to be limited for that deal.

All the best

many thanks

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 15 October 2003
No Alex

Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 16 October 2003
Hard work isn't it!!!  Undecided

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.