Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Bonnet Mopping

Posted by md_cleaning (md_cleaning), 13 December 2003
When I clean office blocks I prefer to Bonnet Mop as it does a good job on lightly soiled carpets and is quick, but am never sure what to charge, I mean you can't charge the same as you do for extraction can you?
If anyone can give me some idea.  

Thanks, Dave (MD Cleaning)
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 13 December 2003
Dave,

I only do bonnet mopping as part of a planned maintenance programme, in these circumstances I charge about half my HWE rate.

I do not recommend repeated bonnet mopping as the sole 'washing' method.

John.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 14 December 2003
Dave,

Although I would generally agree with John regarding not using a bonnet system exclusively, there will be exceptions. I have a perfect case.

I have looked after the carpets in several buildings of 40,000sq.ft. since the mid to late eighties. Metal computer flooring, nylon tiles, frequent layout changes so the tiles are never 100% perfect fit all over. Planned program of 4 visits per year. Good pre-vac is essential. Soiling problem is more beverage spillages than anything else. Cleaning has been exclusively bonnet. Only now, after more than 15 years, has the time come to replace the carpet. At the other end of the scale, the London Head office of the same authority, didn't originally have a maintenance plan. They replaced the carpet after only 5 years.

As for charging, my preferred approach for bonnet cleaning only, is to add up the costs (materials, travelling and labour, including my own on a day rate basis), then add on a profit figure for the business which for me starts at 100%  As the production rate is so much quicker than virtually any other system, I find this to be the easiest and fairest way for me to cost. A team of 3 is the most productive.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 14 December 2003
Ken,

Under those circumstances I would agree that low-moisture cleaning and bonnet mopping in particular is the best option.

Interestingly, I applied your costing formula to a few of the last BM jobs I have done and the resultant cost is pretty close to what I charged.

John.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.